Jan 8, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
I’ve seen Mr. Gilbert’s girlfriend, and I see no reason to trade her in; but then I’m a hoarder. If Nick Saban is hoisting the crystal Still-No-Sensible-College-Football-Playoffs Trophy, then why is Texas’ backup quarterback getting all the positive buzz this morning? Because unlike Nick Saban — who is about as cuddly as Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino — Gilbert captured hearts and minds with his gutsy performance in relief of Colt McCoy. And as another tweeter noted, the last time Gilbert lost a game, he then went on to lead his team to 30 straight wins.
That would be at Lake Travis High, I assume; where he was voted Gatorade National Player of the Year his senior season. So your future is in good hands, Longhorns fans. You cheered hard and were a credit to your school; and Mack Brown showed class in pulling McCoy when he did. You should all be proud. Now get on the bus and get out of my state.
Friday, the coach will see you now. Please bring your playbook.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT …
What you missed while moving out of your dorm just a tad late …
* NBA: Oh no — what about Yi Jianlian’s annual Mahjong tournament?
* MLB: Set you DVRs for “fun!”
* MLB: Barry Bonds’ son formally charged in doorknob mother attack.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Yes, always remember that the best things in life are free. Unlike this comic, which is why we can only link to it, and not embed it on the page.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found