Jan 8, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Did Mike Leach get Swiftboated? It appears that very well could be the case, as Sports by Brooks outlines today in a post linking ESPN football analyst Craig James and the Swiftboat Veterans for Truth, that funtime group of merry pranksters who waged a smear campaign against John Kerry during the 2004 Presidential election. Leach was fired as head coach of Texas Tech over allegations that he mistreated receiver Adam James, who is Craig James’ son.
Merrie Spaeth was the media consultant behind the Swiftboat Veterans, and heads Spaeth Communications, a Dallas-based PR firm. On Wednesday, James announced that he intended to run for the senate seat that would be vacated by Kay Bailey Hutchinson, and was assisted in releasing the news by Spaeth Communications. The plot thickens.
Yeah, remember that video of Adam James in the infamous Texas Tech shed? Seems that Spaeth Communications was behind that as well. But there’s more.
From Sports by Brooks:
Prominent Texas Tech alumni and media sources have told me the past week that Spaeth Communications allegedly played an integral role in the firing of Mike Leach. In addition to the video of Adam James that Spaeth circulated to the media, I’ve heard growing sentiment that Spaeth was behind much of the anonymously-sourced information about Adam James’ alleged plight reported by the media.
James has been considering a political career for some time now, well before what happened at Texas Tech. For that reason, I personally believe Craig James called in Spaeth after the Tech situation blew up, to help damage control his reputation and help preserve his viability as a political candidate. As a conservative, it’s also a natural for James to have Spaeth represent him as he ponders a political career.
Craig James is already an instant pariah with a large group of his potential constituency; just look at the billboards supporting Leach that are sprouting up around Lubbock. His supporters call themselves team Leach, and their ranks are growing. Note to James: That’s not an ideal petri dish to grow a political career.
Swiftboat PR Firm Repping James Against Leach [SportsbyBrooks]
Smear Boat Veterans For Bush [Salon]
Social networking group Team Leach announces pro-Leach rally [KCBD]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte