Jan 6, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
Well, at least we know he wasn’t shooting animals with those guns. PETA rolled out its latest anti-fur campaign ad today; and while some may consider any Gilbert Arenas-based publicity today as bad timing, PETA takes a different view. As spokesman Dan Shannon told me via email: “Arenas may not have a job in the NBA right now, but he’s got one with PETA.”
As you know by now of course, Agent Zero was suspended without pay today by David Stern for pretending that his fingers were guns during a timeout of the Wizards’ game on Tuesday. I’m not making that up. Also he’s banned from his tree fort. But that’s what happens, I guess, when you keep an armory of guns in your locker.
Reportedly included in the gun cache was a gold-plated .50 caliber Desert Eagle, the model made famous in the James Bond film Man With the Golden Gun, and of course Austin Powers: Goldmember. Saddam Hussein also had one. Like the Iraqi dictator, Arenas’ weapons of mass destruction were all unregistered, which could lead to jail time.
So why would PETA unveil the Arenas ad today, of all days? Because they understand the power and nature of publicity. The buzz around Agent Zero will never be bigger, and since he didn’t actually kill any people, or dogs, they consider this the best time to use his name. This is a smaller-scale version of Nike and Electronic Arts sticking by Tiger Woods during his time of trouble. PETA not only reaps the benefits of the Arenas buzz, but garners some good will be sticking with their guy.
While I prefer Pamela Anderson’s efforts, this works too. Smart move by PETA.
Arenas suspended indefinitely for gun incident [NBCSports]
Ink Not Mink [Peta.org]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found