Jan 6, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
So Jayson Williams claims that he wasn’t drunk when his car had an encounter with a tree in New York City on Tuesday night, breaking a bone in his neck. And his manager, Akhtar Farzaie, said that the ex-Net would never engage is such behavior: “I’ve known Jayson for many years as his friend/manager and know that it is not within his character to ever drink and drive.” Problem is, there are eyewitness accounts of Williams drinking at Aces and Eights, a Manhattan bar, right before the crash; and photos. Here’s one of ‘em. Looks like Jayson’s got some ‘splainin to do.
Williams is already awaiting retrial on a reckless manslaughter charge in the 2002 shooting of a limousine driver. He suffered facial cuts and a broken bone in his neck in the 3:15 a.m. crash, police said, and refused to take a blood alcohol test. He was found in the passenger seat by police following the crash, and claims that someone else was driving (witnesses dispute this).
The blog Stalking Steve Phillips posted photos late Tuesday of Williams partying it up at Aces and Eights Saloon. And an eyewitness reports that a member of Williams’ party bought him at least three shots of Jameson.
Exclusive SSP sources spotted former NBA star Jayson Williams and a friend at Manhattan bar Aces and 8′s late last night shortly before he allegedly crashed his car into a tree in Manhattan while drunk.
Our source claims to have seen Williams at Aces and 8′s drinking with a group of college kids. He was friendly and taking photos (more seen below.) Our source also claims that a member of his party purchased Williams at least 3 shots of Jameson.
A Stalking Steve Phillips commenter amusingly observes:
pathetic that he was at aces and 8s. that’s a sophomore year bar… and i mean sophomore year of high school. not even sure which college kids would go there… much less a former NBA player. — whatever
Welcome to rehab, Mr. Williams. Your counselor, Charles Barkley, will see you now.
Jayson Williams charged with DWI after arrest [NBCSports]
Photos of Jayson Williams Shortly Before DWI Arrest [Stalking Steve Phillips]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M