Dec 31, 2009, 4:00 PM EST
There has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the comments section of the Tiger Woods stories here, and many of you have included Bible quotes. I’m not sure that a whimsical sports culture blog is the platform for that, but hey, rock on, true believers. An excerpt from one of Wednesday’s comments:
Now it is time to move on to the next story. I am quite sure there are a bunch of other high profile and low profile people out there fooling around. Who will the next victim be? Who will we seek to destroy next. Be careful it could be YOU. Let the man without sin throw the first stone
Many of you have gone to the “cast the first stone” quote, and many of you have mangled it. Actually the exact wording, from John 8:7, goes like this: So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
Readers have provided many colorful variations of that, as you’ll see following the jump.
Some other commenter variations on the theme:
* I’M SURE YOUR BAG OF SINNER STONES ARE GETTING HEAVY. AND YOU ARE JUST THE ONE TO LAUNCH THEM, ARE’NT YOU? — Chicords
* blah blah blah Bruce L. The actual quote from the bible, if translated directly, is “let he who is without ‘this’ sin, cast the first stone.” So I’ll cast away. I hope he gets aids. — Mark
* I am very entertained by Tigers athleticism, a little let down by this behavior. But I remember where it says somewhere, that Let he whom is without sin cast the 1st stone. — Mr.Marv
* praise the lord, get me some stones, my throwing arm is warming up. — Rolling Stone
* I’ll cast the first stone. Hell, I’ll cast the second stone as well. — john
Ha, ironic! Since it’s in the Book of John that we find the quotation in its entirety:
1 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. 2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. 3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
Clip and paste any portions of that you’d like in future comments, but please don’t fly by the seat of your pants and do it from memory. From now on, no one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle.
And that’s a good place to leave things as we embark on the grand new adventure that is 2010. To cap the old year and ring in the new, since we’re on the subject of comments, I’d like to leave you with my favorite one so far. On Tuesday I wrote about Tiger, and posted a photo of him in the underbrush. I imagined him in Mexico, a bit lost and confused after his ball had been stolen by a lemur. Moments later, this arrived:
* Pretend he’s in Mexico here and a lemur just stole his ball? Lemurs are indigenous to Madagascar, not Mexico, you dolt! — Phil
Happy New Year, Phil. Happy New Year, everyone.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found