Dec 29, 2009, 5:23 PM EDT
In the wake of serious player-abuse allegations against Kansas’ Mark Mangino and Texas Tech’s Mike Leach, the former which cost the coach his job, and the latter which still may, former Texas A&M receiver Terrence Murphy unveiled a bombshell of his own recently. In a post on his Facebook page, Murphy — considered by many to be the best receiver in Aggies history — said that his coach, Dennis Franchione, was guilty of similar abuses. And that Franchione had been doing it from “the day he arrived at A&M.”
Franchione coached A&M from 2003-07. Murphy was there from 2001-04.
UPDATE: Link to video following the jump.
From Murphy’s Facebook page, via SportsbyBrooks:
It is amazing that two coaches in the Big 12 are getting negative press for mis-treating players on their football teams. WOW, Coach Fran treated players at A&M like this the day he arrived at A&M.
Now that I am a man, looking back it hurts my heart to know how many of my teammates will never come back to A&M because of those antics, and how many kid’s life (sic) were altered because of it.
Guess it did not happen to a football legend’s son, so it was ignored. ESPN brought back bad memories. I fault myself for not stepping up as the leader of the team and saying something.
In a rather ironic twist, Franchione is now a color commentator for ESPN; the same network which employs Craig James. James’ son, Adam, is at the center of a controversy involving Leach, who was suspended by Texas Tech on Monday while officials investigate allegations that the coach used abusive methods during practice.
Floodgates open? We’ll see.
Murphy was a two-time 1st Team All-Big 12 selection at A&M, (wide receiver and kick returner), and three-time Academic All-Big 12. A second-round pick for the Packers in 2005, his career ended after only three games due to a spinal condition.
UPDATE: Murphy slams Franchione on video.
Former A&M Star: Franchione Also Abused Players [SportsbyBrooks]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'