Former Texas A&M receiver says Franchione abused players

Dec 29, 2009, 5:23 PM EDT

In the wake of serious player-abuse allegations against Kansas’ Mark Mangino and Texas Tech’s Mike Leach, the former which cost the coach his job, and the latter which still may, former Texas A&M receiver Terrence Murphy unveiled a bombshell of his own recently. In a post on his Facebook page, Murphy — considered by many to be the best receiver in Aggies history — said that his coach, Dennis Franchione, was guilty of similar abuses. And that Franchione had been doing it from “the day he arrived at A&M.”
Franchione coached A&M from 2003-07. Murphy was there from 2001-04.
UPDATE: Link to video following the jump.

From Murphy’s Facebook page, via SportsbyBrooks:

It is amazing that two coaches in the Big 12 are getting negative press for mis-treating players on their football teams. WOW, Coach Fran treated players at A&M like this the day he arrived at A&M.

Now that I am a man, looking back it hurts my heart to know how many of my teammates will never come back to A&M because of those antics, and how many kid’s life (sic) were altered because of it.

Guess it did not happen to a football legend’s son, so it was ignored. ESPN brought back bad memories. I fault myself for not stepping up as the leader of the team and saying something.

In a rather ironic twist, Franchione is now a color commentator for ESPN; the same network which employs Craig James. James’ son, Adam, is at the center of a controversy involving Leach, who was suspended by Texas Tech on Monday while officials investigate allegations that the coach used abusive methods during practice.
Floodgates open? We’ll see.
Murphy was a two-time 1st Team All-Big 12 selection at A&M, (wide receiver and kick returner), and three-time Academic All-Big 12. A second-round pick for the Packers in 2005, his career ended after only three games due to a spinal condition.
UPDATE: Murphy slams Franchione on video.
***
Former A&M Star: Franchione Also Abused Players [SportsbyBrooks]

1. Phil - Dec 29, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Give me a break..

2. Ralph - Dec 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Oh my someone that who is a punk talking bad about a former coach… If this is what football players are like now days it is a wonder there is ever a good game. Bunch of low life morons that are given a chance to play who are ungrateful.
    Oh my I stood in place for 2 hours in the dark – all I can think of is “so?” Give me a break – man up a little and stop being a whiny baby.

3. jamez - Dec 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM

The A&M coach was a DUD from day 1.
    The above comment must surely be an X aggie.
    Special RETARD classes at A&M fail to make good players.

4. Ralph - Dec 29, 2009 at 8:28 PM

X aggie huh? Just for the record I don’t care anything about Texas A&M and I can’t stand Franchione. I think he is a idiot.
    So no my statements have little to do with Franchione and A&M.

5. mhutsick@medfield.mec.edu - Dec 29, 2009 at 9:06 PM

There is a lot of a buse at the collegiate level. I worked in Div 1 for 27 years as Dir. of sports medicine. I was at a place that was not to bad. However, if the allegations are true the Athletic trainers and coaches should be fired along with the AD and an all of the other administrators. Football players sustain a lot of abuse physically. They play hard. If there coaches don’t respect them and use them as a stepping stone to line their pockets and feed their ego they should be fired. To many athletic directors are balless schmucks and don’t deserve to be there. Coaches who are more powerful than the AD and president need to be fired and not allowed to exist. There are scumbags every where and college football is no exception. If my son played football I would be watching the coach and the sports medicine team to make sure they treated my son fairly and as if they were their own. I always tried to treat the athletes like I would treat my own. The NCAA makes it mandatory to cheat to make more money for them. There is a lot of good but also bad in the system. Don’t take anyone at face value. The only way to get accountablity is to threaten to sue.

6. Mary - Dec 29, 2009 at 9:52 PM

There is no X aggie, once an aggie always an aggie.

7. Dave - Dec 29, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Not surprised at all. Fran was a phoney and only succeeded as much as he did using others’ recruits. When he arrived at A&M the situation was much worse than he was led to believe. He had little talent, and he quickly showed that he too had none.
    Fran is a scumbag. So what?

8. WALL - Dec 29, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Ralph … your moronic statements are not worth your life!
    You need to be educated on the word “Retard”. You use it as a punchline, I see it as an insult. My daughter has Downs Syndrome and this word is no different from the “N” word as far as I am concerned. Do yourself a favor a quit using words that you don’t understand. What offends you ? Take what does and then see how it feels when you see it thrown around for a punchline! Have the maturity to use what knowledge you do have (if any)!!! a-hole

9. Robin Huud - Dec 29, 2009 at 11:10 PM

This whole mess is a big joke to me. These kids, whether they are football players, or in customer service for a company, want to go home to momma and whine every time someone looks at them twice. The generation of 20 and 30 year olds are nothing but crybabies and Craig James should keep his nose out of Texas Tech football, but it does not surprise me since all those yokels at ESPN now think they own the college football world, from telling colleges to cancel games in the schedule and swap games to make it beneficial to them. College should tell ESPN to take a hole leap and go to hell and by the way, 90% of their announcers are stupid and dont know when to shut up. Please bring back the old gays from ABC (Keith Jackson, et al)so we can have some decent announcers. If Bear Bryant were coaching today, they would have him in jail for assault and battery. Wake up America, you have become a bunch of namby/pamby babies. You all make me sick.

10. mogogo - Dec 29, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Terrence Murphy was a star under Franchione and an Academic All-America–hardly the stereotypical disgruntled player. He doesn’t seem to have any motive to go after Franchione now that they are both long gone from A&M. All that gives credibility to his story.

11. mogogo - Dec 29, 2009 at 11:40 PM

12. Jake - Dec 30, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Come on guys, this is full contact football not a chess match. The term “abuse” is the word of the year and conjures up all kinds of horror stories. Abuse is not making some kid stand in a room for a couple hours. Some of the press cuts it as scene right out of “full metal jacket”.
    These babies need to man up.

13. Greg - Dec 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM

WALL, I agree with your comment about how the word retard can, and is, as offensive as the “N” word, but you blasted the wrong guy, Ralph never said it, some douchebag named JAMEZ did.

14. Carlos - Dec 30, 2009 at 11:17 AM

This isn’t about making someone stand in a shed or any other kind of building, this is about the serious matter of concussions, and how teams deal with them. This isn’t the year for coaches in college or the pros to make light or dismiss this kind of injury, it will cost you your job, just as the pirate is about to find out.

15. Ralph - Dec 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Ahh.. I just want to point out that you are yelling at the wrong person…
    Jamez said that in the post above mine.

16. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 30, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Phil and Ralph are two computer PUNKS who are very brave men when they are hiding behind a screen, They are GIANT DOUCHE BAGS TOO.

17. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 30, 2009 at 1:51 PM

YOU ARE A DOUCHE AS WELL, A GIANT ONE LIKE PHIL AND RALPH

18. Coty - Dec 30, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Did classic tv’s Nell Carter just walk in the room?

19. Streatordave - Dec 30, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Just more recruits for SMU & June Jones. Dante has a special place for coaches like Mangino (Kansas), D.Fran (Aggieland)& now….Tech who now has a truly nice tradition of abusing student athletes. Was it a coincidence that Tech hired both Bobby Knight & Leach? It just may be systematic in state run programs.
    GO PONYS!!!

20. Ralph - Dec 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM

TigerS you make me laugh so please flame me some more. BTW do you actually have an opinon? I wonder since you haven’t actually said anything worthwhile yet.
    I’ve stated mine – While I have no like for Coach Fran I don’t believe he abused his players. I believe he worked them hard and more than likely had many harsh words for him, but abused? No. This is football. You need to be mentally and physically tough or you are going to get killed during a game. Some people simply aren’t cut out for it. If you are going to play though man up and relize that this isn’t your mommy taking you on a picnic.
    As for what happened with TT a spoiled brat with a father that had already tanked another football program just tanked another one. I’ve read all the stories and it is pretty clear that he wasn’t locked in some dark room. He was put inside after he complained to the coach (while wearing sunglasses that weren’t approved for the field) that he was getting headaches from the sun. I hardly think a media room and other room that was big enough for 2 full-sized trucks can be called a small room.
    All of it is pointless though. TT wasn’t happy that Leach didn’t roll over and accept the first offer they tossed to him last year. This was them paying him back the chance they had. It is going to be interesting when he sues them.

21. KingM - Dec 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Jeez some of you guys are so tough – I wonder how many of you actually played football? and while they are manning up – why don’t we just go all the way back and use leather helmets and no face mask. Oh – isn’t that the same Bear Bryant who claimed he would never have a “N” play for him while he was the coach at Alabama – oh he changed that tune afte USC did a “tune” on him.
    Wake up its the 21st Century – and I for one would not want my kid or any one’s kid(s) abused by any coach or any teacher(?) like figure in a position of authority.
    ABUSE is the real issue here – Priests – Coaches et al – it doesn’t matter ABUSE is illegal and wrong – no matter how many games you win – quite frankly the abuser in all likelihood, has some psychological issues that he probably needs to deal with.

22. Ralph - Dec 30, 2009 at 3:56 PM

For the record I did play football also don’t bring race into this. This has nothing to do with race and Bryant died when? 1983? The world yes is a much different place now and not all in a good way.
    Quite a few kids today feel like they are “entitled”. That they should get something for nothing. I don’t believe in that. I believe you need to be working hard for what you get. I don’t believe in hand outs or “letting everyone play to feel good”. There is nothing wrong with earning your place. James’ coaches and teammates all said the same thing about him – that he was lazy and felt like he was above them. That is not the kind of person I would want on my team. From those same e-mails it looks like Leach stuck his neck out and got James on the team anyway (no one else wanted him). Looks more and more like no good deed goes unpunished.
    I’m sure we will here more and more and TT and Coach Fran so I will reserve my final judgement until then, but from EVERYTHING that has been shown so far I simply can’t see any abuse here. The “kid” ( a 20-year old adult ) stood for a couple of hours while trainers watched him. I wish I had this kind of “abuse”.
    For all the people that keep saying abuse it wrong – well I agree with you. ABUSE is wrong. No one here is saying anything different or anywhere else for that matter that I have read. The point here is that aroud 70% to 75% (using the poll #s I’ve seen) don’t see any abuse at all here. So what I would like to see is from the 25%-30% side is this: What exactly are you calling abuse? What exactly did Leach do that you are calling abuse?

23. Kyle - Dec 30, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Here’s a good look at the alleged “electrical closet” that James was located. I defy anyone to point how James was harmed. Take special note, even James’ treating doctor, HIS OWN TREATING DOCTOR, said that he was helped by being kept in a cool dark place.

24. Pat - Dec 30, 2009 at 9:59 PM

How can ESPN have any credibility on the conduct of coaches when it hired Bob Knight, the poster child for abusive behavior,

25. shari - Dec 31, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Bear Bryant never said he wouldnt have a “N” play for him, to the contrary Bryant wanted black players long before they actually were accepted….pressure from the boosters and political atmosphere of the day is what held up progress….apparently u guys are ignorant of the history of college football….just ask Sylvester Croom how he felt about the Bear….something like helping him become a man…we all could learn from Bears generation