Dec 29, 2009, 10:00 AM EDT
As we know from our reading, the care and feeding of Randy Moss is not an exact science. The Patriots’ superstar receiver can go off for 100 yards and three TDs in any given game, but like all volatile mixtures, can be dangerously unstable. Witness: One catch for 16 yards and no scores vs. Carolina the week before last, in which he was accused in some corners of tanking it.
But on Sunday against the Jaguars we had explosive, three-TD Randy; the version of the receiver the Patriots are going to need if they want to make it to the Super Bowl. Not only was he effective, but he seemed to be having fun again; due in no small part to a fan in a Randy Moss mask who engaged in a bit of comical interplay with Moss during an officials’ time out. The full story from WEEI in Boston, plus link to video, following the jump.
It was in the third quarter when Moss caught a pass from Tom Brady and dove toward the end zone with what appeared to be his third TD of the day. But it was close enough for the Jaguars to challenge the call, and while the replay was being reviewed, the Jumbotron operator found a fan in the stands wearing a Randy Moss mask.
As the fan was dancing, he imitated Moss’ “seperation” move, making a swim motion with his arms.
Video here (Moss mask guy appears at about the 2:05 mark).
Moss, who suddenly popped onto the screen moments after his doppelganger, saw his imitator on the big screen and laughed. He then pulled out his move, a response to the fan celebration. Egged on by his teammates, Moss went back and forth, time and again with the fan, as the scoreboard operator flipped back and forth between the two. It sparked a raucous response from the fans, who started chanting “Ran-dy, Ran-dy.”
Suddenly, the one-catch affair against the Panthers two weeks ago — and the booing from the home fans that went along with it — seemed very much a thing of the past.
“That was very entertaining,” Moss said after the game. “I had a lot of my teammates wanting me to mess with the guy. He put a little humor into it, and I enjoyed it.
“That’s the thing about having fun — when things go right, you get the fans, you get the players in the game. It was a stadium full of fun today. I think we all enjoyed it.”
Anybody but me think that the Patriots are still a threat in the playoffs? At least they seem to be having a lot more fun right now that the Colts.
Meanwhile, we have an example of an NFL player who’s not having quite as much fun with his home fans.
Ten Things We Learned: Moss Celebrates As Pats Clinch Division Title [WEEI]
Photo: Jay Cuter Flipping Off Fans At Soldier Field [SportsbyBrooks]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement