Dec 29, 2009, 9:00 AM EDT
Yes, the Washington Capitals’ Alex Ovechkin will be charging $150 per autograph at an appearance at a sports memorabilia store on Jan. 30, but that’s only if you want your jersey or helmet signed. For a card or a puck, it’s only $125; very reasonable I’m sure for all the young Caps fans out there. Here’s the rundown from PS Game Gear.com, which is playing host to Ovechkin’s appearance in its Dulles, Virginia store … in the mall, right across from Banana Republic!
* 8×10, Puck, Card, Program Autograph Fee: $125.00
* 16×20, Jersey, Stick, Helmet, Skate or other Autograph Fee: $150.00
* Tickets are limited to only 200 available!!
What exactly is Ovechkin spending this money on? It sure isn’t for dentistry or shoes. May I suggest the much more affordable Brooks Laich autograph instead? A bargain at only $30, plus he’ll walk your dog.
Is it my imagination, or are NHL players stingier with their autographs than players in other pro sports? I’ve noticed that at a few celebrity golf tournaments, although my sample group is admittedly a small one (Mario Lemieux, Gretzky, a few others).
Tuesday will sign only one book, but will not personalize the inscription. Please keep the line moving. He will not sign body parts.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT …
What you missed while a monkey pelts you with fruit …
* Get ready for a new era in broadcasting excess: Jay Cutler Love.
* As The Beatles said: “If you’re lonely, you can talk to me … Hey Bulldog!”
* Back-to-back losses to the Clippers and Warriors make the gang at Cheers very cranky. Take that, Bill Simmons
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Ah, finally; here’s the stereotypical fat southern sheriff I ordered. Wasn’t sure they’d have any in stock, this being the 21st century and all.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found