Dec 28, 2009, 4:00 PM EDT
If you’ve gone online repeatedly today to try and buy something called Tiagra, a sex drug which will cause you to admire Mexican women, I feel obliged to inform you that it’s all a joke. And sadly once again you’ve been fooled by the Day of the Innocents; Latin America’s equivalent to our April Fools Day, only they take it way more seriously. Evidently most of Mexico’s big media outlets are in on the fun, which this year included
lots of jokes at Tiger Woods’ expense, and also a front-page headline in the Excelsior newspaper announcing a change in the World Cup soccer game between Mexico and France. The paper reported that the game would be moved from South Africa to Mexico.
By the way, the photo here is no joke; it’s my favorite Tiger Woods pic ever. Lost, entangled in underbrush, appearing to be waving away photographers … just so metaphorically apt. Pretend he’s in Mexico here and a lemur just stole his ball. Ha.
But the main focus is on Woods, as you knew it would be.
“Mexican women are the best,” said an alleged quote from Woods in Mexico’s La Reforma daily, which included a set up photograph with Woods purportedly admiring a Mexican waitress.
The parody at the expense of the world’s most famous athlete came as Mexican journalists twisted world news as well as stories closer to home, including a report on an alleged new vaccine for H1N1 made from Tequila.
Another report claimed that the Catholic Church had changed its position on divorce, creating an Internet site for express marriage annulments.
“In less than 10 clicks and five minutes, this message appears: “Marriage over. Hallelujah! Have a nice day,” the Reforma report said.
Twisting news to make it funny and exciting? We’re above that sort of thing in this country.
By the way, have you entered this Tiger Woods Photoshop ad contest yet?
‘Tiger Woods’ promotes ‘Tiagra’ on Latin joke day [Yahoo News]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?