Dec 23, 2009, 11:00 AM EDT
What am I going to do with these tickets to Las Vegas? Is there anything else to do there?
Promoter Bob Arum, who is starting to make Mr. Haney from Green Acres look like Walter Cronkite, says that the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Manny Pacquiao “Fight of the Century” has been canceled. At issue is drug testing; how to do it, when to do it, and just how much blood to take (no topping off!). Actually, Mayweather’s camp is insisting on random, Olympic-style blood testing, which Arum and Pacquiao are refusing to do. They say that Mayweather is just making ridiculous, Dracula-like conditions so that he doesn’t have to fight Pacquiao. David Mayo of the Grand Rapids Press has the exclusive.
“We’re going in a different direction,” Arum said. “What I believe is that Floyd never really wanted the fight and this is just harassment of Pacquiao.
“Floyd, to me, is a coward and he’s always been a coward,” Arum said. “Not a physical coward, but a coward because he’s afraid to face somebody who could beat him. And believe me, Manny Pacquiao could beat him. So he’ll go his way, we’ll go our way, and that’ll be fine.
“Manny Pacquiao doesn’t know anything about drugs. This is just typical nastiness by wise guys like (adviser Leonard) Ellerbe and Mayweather. They’re just wise guys.”
Of course, this superfight will be off until it suddenly isn’t. Brooks of Sports by Brooks put it best this morning:
Anyone who has followed boxing and Arum for more than five minutes knows this fight will come off somehow some way, but let’s play pretend with Arum. This is probably the last, big moment for the venerable promoter, so I’ll indulge him.
If there’s anything more to this besides Arum’s grandstanding, it probably involves money, Mayweather’s ego, or both.
Anyway, Arum is not the ones who Mayweather has to convince. Pacquiao takes all of his orders from a higher authority.
Promoter Bob Arum: Mayweather-Pacquiao off; ‘Floyd never really wanted the fight’ [Grand Rapids Press]
Grand Rapids Press: Mayweather-Pacquiao Is Off [SportsbyBrooks]
Pacquiao: I had a talk with God [Inquirer.net]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?