Dec 23, 2009, 2:30 PM EDT
Golf Digest does not want Tiger’s Tips column for the next few weeks. Damn this struggling economy! Still reeling a bit from last month’s irony-filled cover (pictured), GD is suspending Woods’ monthly column for the duration of his hiatus from the sport, Boston Golf Examiner is reporting.
My guess is that Golf Digest didn’t actually pull the plug on this, but rather it was Tiger who told the magazine he won’t be filing columns for the time being. After all, under the circumstances, the columns would be very difficult to write; each sentence loaded down with irony and Freudian innuendo.
Lesson 1: The 5 Basic Body Actions of Golf … “No way was it 5! I only saw her twice!”
My first lesson with a pupil: they show me, I show them. “Um, let’s move on …”
Connecting Foot Action to Leg/Knee Action. “Tough to do in the back seat of even the roomiest SUV …”
From Boston Golf Examiner:
Woods will not supply the magazine with golf tips during his hiatus from professional golf, a Golf Digest spokesperson tells Boston Golf Examiner.
No more Tiger tips. “Golf Digest has had a long-standing relationship with Tiger Woods to provide instruction articles for the magazine, and we do not have any plans to change that,” says a Golf Digest statement. “We respect Tiger’s decision to take a break from professional golf and focus on his family; Tiger’s bylined instruction articles will not be published in Golf Digest during his time away from the game.”
Meanwhile, Tiger’s approval numbers are plummeting as if they were tied to a falling safe. And he seems to be taking the PGA Tour down with him.
Before the never-ending Woods saga began late last month, the buzz surrounding the PGA Tour was 84 percent positive. That was higher than the NBA (81 percent positive), MLB (75 percent), and NHL (72 percent), according to digital marketing agency Zeta Interactive.
Buzz kill. As of December 22, however, the online popularity of the PGA Tour had dropped to 64 percent, which was lower than any other major sports league in the United States.
We’re approaching Lingerie Football League depth, captain! If we get down to pro bowling and (gulp!) WNBA, the hull won’t be able to stand the pressure!
Golf Digest suspends Tiger Woods from monthly golf columns [Boston Golf Examiner]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut