Dec 21, 2009, 6:30 PM EST
So here’s the deal: Everyone who was in attendance at Louisville on Dec. 16 who saw Papa John’s Pizza founder John Schnatter sink a halfcourt shot is entitled to a free pizza. Smart marketing or foolish promise? You be the judge: There were 18,868 fans at the game between the Cardinals and Oral Roberts, so that’s $174,000 in pizza if everyone claims one.
Schnatter got at least two tries before he banked in the shot during halftime at Freedom Hall last week; not surprising that he’d get more than one shot, seeing that he helped finance Louisville’s football stadium.
Papa John’s says the free pizza offer is good through Dec. 27. Fans must call the store, order carryout and surrender their game ticket when they pick up the pizza.
The free publicity is probably worth it; just as John Keiley, owner of Johnny’s New York Pizza & Pasta in Lakewood, Colo. He turns up every year with some sort of sports related pizza giveaway; in June of 2007 he offered free pizza if the Rockies swept the Yankees. That cost him 2,500 pizzas — or about $12,000. Then he made the same offer if any NFL team went 16-0 … and that was the year the New England Patriots did. That set him back 1,500 pizzas. He’s still in business, as far as I know.
Louisville Pizza Giveaway: Papa John’s Offering Nearly 19,000 Free Pizzas [Huffington Post]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found