Dec 18, 2009, 5:00 PM EDT
You remember Cameron Pettigrew; the guy who was fired by a Dallas-area Fidelity Investments firm for playing fantasy football on company time. I found his story intriguing, in a Jerry Lundegaard/Office Space kind of way, when I first wrote about it; but now Mr. Pettigrew is further explaining himself, and it’s been upgraded to downright hilarious. Except for that whole part about him losing his job during a recession. That blows.
Anyway, having exhausted all of his appeals with the company to get his job back, Pettigrew figured what the hell, I’ll chat about it on ESPN radio in Dallas. My favorite part: While he was undergoing a 90-minute interrogation by the company about his fantasy football activities, an executive followed him to the restroom.
What was that line from Fargo? “He’s fleeing the interview! He’s fleeing the interview!”
“It was October 21st, that was the day I was called, the day before I was doing my job like every other day. One of the directors for our department came and walked me down to a room where two men in suits were waiting for me and they preceded to interrogate me for about 90 minutes on everything I knew about fantasy football at the company. They even pulled a good cop bad cop on me. One guy was kind of hammering me and the other guy was trying to be my friend.
“It was so ridiculous they finally allowed me to at least go to the bathroom for a while. On my way back from the bathroom I noticed that one of the guys had come back to check on me as if I was going to run down to Mexico or something. I kept thinking all of this for a $20 fantasy football league; you have got to be kidding me.”
“Their reason, which I got several weeks later after asking forever, was that I was considered an organizer of gambling activities in their definition because I was the commissioner of my league. So since I was the guy that set it up online and took the $20, they considered me an organizer of gambling activities. It was like I was some sort of international gambling kingpin or something.”
If you can get fired for playing fantasy football, this country doesn’t stand a chance; start enforcing it everywhere, and watch the economy crumble like the freeway overpasses in the film 2012. Everyone would be fired. And by the way … what site were you just visiting before you came here? Security!
Cameron Pettigrew: ‘They considered me an organizer of gambling activities. It was like I was some sort of international gambling kingpin’ [Sports Radio Interviews]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?