Dec 18, 2009, 12:00 PM EDT
The folks at Waggle Room dug up this Tiger Woods interview with ESPN from 2007, and one wonders why Mr. Woods hasn’t taken a little of his own advice. In it, he admonishes Michael Vick for not coming forward and admitting his mistakes publicly. Key quote: “Waiting a long time got a lot of people polarized. … If he would have come out earlier, he would’ve diffused a little more of it.”
When Michael Vick waited several long weeks in 2007 to acknowledge his lead role in a disgusting dog fighting ring, Woods advised Vick in an interview with ESPN, “If you made that big a mistake, you’ve got to come out and just be contrite, be honest and just tell the public that ‘I was wrong.’”
Now entering Day 22 of his self-imposed retirement from life, Tiger has released only a couple of statements on his web site to show the world that he’s still alive. He remains at home, watching cartoons and possibly contemplating a visit to a sex rehab facility, as paparazzi keep vigil outside his Orlando home. By comparison, the siege at the Alamo lasted only 13 days. Osama bin laden still holds the record at staying out of sight at eight years, while I myself have not left the house in 72 hours.
Link to ESPN video here.
Also from Waggle Room:
Woods’ actions have run counter to his public statements about himself and advice he would offer to others. That is a serious pause for concern when it comes to use of HGH or other performance-enhancing drugs. Why? Because Woods said in 2006 that drug testing should be done on the PGA Tour…immediately.
“I don’t know when we could get that implemented,” Woods said. “Tomorrow would be fine with me.
“I think we should be proactive instead of reactive. I just think we should be ahead of it and keep our sport as pure as can be. This is a great sport, and it’s always been clean.”
Tiger also said that he and (caddie) Steve Williams talk about everything together, despite denials from Stevie that he knew anything of Woods’ personal failings.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final