Dec 17, 2009, 12:00 PM EDT
Attorneys for the defendants in a Jefferson County, Alabama civil court trial have filed for a trial delay so that they can watch Alabama play Texas in the BCS Title Game in January. Bessemer, Ala., attorney Jon B. Terry filed the motion for continuance recently in a case in which he is representing the Energen Corp., which is suing the executor of a woman’s estate. But, says, Terry, several of his staff want to go to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, and besides, won’t the jury be distracted?
Hilarious sidebar: The opposing attorneys, who are Auburn fans, are trying to block the motion.
Excerpts from the motion:
3. Currently, one of the two great teams in this State are playing for a national championship and has enjoyed an undefeated season and clinches the SEC Title Game.
4. Most of the attorneys representing all of the Defendants have tickets and reservations to be in Pasadena on the 6th day of January, 2010, which date would conflict with the trial date as travel times and schedules for the game overlap the trial as currently set.
6. Attempts to resolve this conflict directly with the Plaintiffs has been unfruitful as the reply has been that they are for the other great team in this State who did not make the playoffs. Unfortunately, that response remains short sighted as they may one day find themselves in the same position that the Defendant attorneys are in and, unfortunately, the BCS Title Game is no longer scheduled on Jan. 1st, but has been moved to January 7th.
8. It is also understood that many of the witnesses involved are trying to acquire tickets to the game and/or scheduled to be at the game in Pasadena on January 7th and certainly any juror selected to participate will likely be preoccupied and not be able to devote their full attention to the case before them during the week of January 4, 2010, and therefore, the parties would be prejudiced by the distraction caused by such a major event of such significant importance to so many people in this State.
9. ROLL TIDE!! (although my secretary is for the other great team of this State, she feels that I need to attend this championship game!); and may the Longhorns be defeated.
Motion to Continue Trial So I Can Yell Rammer Jammer at Texas Fans in Pasadena [Friends of the Program]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Lookin At Lucky wins Preakness