Dec 15, 2009, 12:00 PM EDT
I think we’ve officially reached a tipping point in the Tiger Woods saga. Today’s big news, via Newsday’s Neil Best on Twitter, is the fact that the New York Post has devoted 16 consecutive front-page covers to Woods, which is three short of their record, when they rolled out 19 straight covers on the 9/11 attacks. So Tiger hasn’t left the house in three weeks, and hes still breaking records? Impressive. But to the larger point: A big portion of the media coverage of Tiger Woods now includes the media coverage of Tiger Woods. Finally, someone has invented the perpetual motion machine. This story may never end!
Two things on Best’s Twitter note: The “laurel and hearty handshake” line is evidently some reference to the 1920s comedy team, but I’m not sure what Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy have to do with Tiger Woods. (Other than the line “Here’s another fine mess you’ve gotten us into.”). And, as New York Magazine points out, it’s a bit ironic that Best is forced to Twitter us the news due to Newsday’s subscription firewall. Another example of old, creaky traditional media thinking. Sports by Brooks has more thoughts on that subject today.
Today’s Post story quotes “a source close to Woods’ camp” saying that Woods “is on the edge.”
The shamed golfer is terrified that his wife is going to divorce him over his sexcapades and make his life miserable by moving to Sweden with their two young kids, a source close to Woods’ camp told The Post yesterday.
“He’s only just coping — he’s on the edge,” the well-placed source said. “He sees everything coming crashing down around him. His career, his family.”
Not sure if that even really qualifies as news. But it gets a NY Post cover. Stay tuned tomorrow to see if the streak continues! I haven’t been this excited since Pete Rose chased DiMaggio.
Tiger: 16 straight NY Post covers, 3 short of 9/11 [SportsbyBrooks]
New York Post cover archive [New York Post]
Scaredy Tiger ‘Now on edge’ [New York Post]
New York Post continues subtle approach to Tiger Woods coverage [The Sports Hernia]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: Red Wings score twice in 31 seconds
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong