Dec 15, 2009, 2:30 PM EST
Nothing throws off your Olympic training regimen like finding out you’re pregnant and giving birth all in the same moment. Elizabeth Poblete, an Olympic weightlifter from Chile, was working out doing whatever Olympic weightlifters do when … surprise. It’s a boy! Poblete, who competed at the Beijing games, was practicing lifts in Sao Paulo ahead of an event when she complained that she was feeling a little ill. She says that she didn’t even know she was pregnant.
Poblete had admitted to feeling unwell during training a week before the birth, according to reports in Brazil, but was “shocked” to find she was pregnant.
The boy was born at three months premature and remains in intensive care. However, Poblete has since left the hospital after telling Brazilian television she does not have the funds to continue medical care for her and her baby. The hospital has denied it discharged the 22-year-old because she failed to pay her bill.
Poblete finished 12th in the 69-75kg category at the 2008 Olympics.
The father? The story does not say. But Tiger Woods was nowhere near Chile this year. I’m pretty sure!
Olympic weightlifter ‘shocked’ after giving birth while training [The Guardian]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found