Dec 15, 2009, 9:00 PM EDT
With Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren seemingly headed down the rapids toward Divorce Falls, word comes that the missus has hired a pretty big gun to handle any potential legal proceedings. Meet celebrity attorney Sorrell Trope, rumored to wear steel underwear and eat his meat raw. Oh, and also it’s said that he can “bust through any pre-nup; he’s done it several times before.”
What’s at stake? From the London Daily Mirror:
Tiger Woods’ devastated wife has called in California’s top celebrity divorce lawyer, say her friends. And Elin Nordegren — rocked by her husband’s string of alleged affairs — could get half the £337.5million he has earned in the five years they have been married.
Driving the speculation that Elin is looking to pound Tiger into a fine, powdery substance in court are these facts:
* She’s been seen in public twice without her wedding ring, and doesn’t appear to care who knows it.
* She recently purchased a multi-million dollar mansion in her native Sweden in hers and her sister’s name.
* According to the Mirror, Elin will not seek a divorce in Orlando, the couple’s primary residence. Instead, she’s filing the papers in California, which has a no-fault community property law.
It appears that Elin is trying to finish the job she started with a golf club on Thanksgiving night.
Trope, 82, a partner in Californian law firm Trope and Trope, has represented big-name stars including Cary Grant, Nicole Kidman, Nicolas Cage and Britney Spears in a 60-year career.
Under California law the “no-fault divorce”, introduced in 1970, means there is an equal division of assets and property.
This could mean that any pre-nup agreement Elin signed with the golf star will be torn up.
A source said: “Mr Trope is the best divorce lawyer in the business and the divorce laws in California are much more favourable than most other states.
“Elin can fight for half of what her husband has earned since they were married. And Trope can bust through any pre-nup – he’s done it many times before.”
Last night, when asked if he was representing Woods’ wife as her divorce lawyer, Trope replied: “Not right now.”
Oh yeah; it’s on.
Tiger and wife headed for permanent split [MSNBC]
Tiger Woods’ wife Elin ‘wants half his fortune’ as she prepares to meet divorce lawyers [London Daily Mirror]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Gronk has successful surgery
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'