Dec 14, 2009, 11:00 AM EST
Leave it to Missouri to do things unconventionally. Two college basketball players have been suspended for assaulting a cheerleader, but someone tell Gloria Allred to unpack … this time it’s female-on-male crime. What kind of a world do we live in where a male cheerleader can’t attend an off-campus party and not be beaten up by two chicks from the women’s basketball team? To be fair, he was bogarting the keg nozzle, but come on. There’s never an excuse to pummel Billy Elliott.
Seniors Amanda Hanneman and Jessra Johnson were suspended indefinitely by Missouri coach Cindy Stein after police said they assaulted a 21-year-old male cheerleader early Friday morning.
Hanneman and Johnson were arrested on suspicion of third-degree assault. Both were released on $500 bond.
The incident happened in the hours after Missouri beat Texas Pan-American 83-34 on Thursday night at Mizzou Arena. Columbia police Sgt. Timothy Moriarity said Hanneman and Johnson were among a group that left a Columbia bar for an apartment at 36 N. Cedar Drive.
Moriarity said the altercation began around 2 a.m. when one of the apartment’s tenants complained the gathering was too loud. The complainant, a senior at Missouri, was left with a broken nose and an eye injury.
Missing Hanneman (13.4 points per game, leads team in 3-pointers with 25) and Johnson (14.1 points per game, 7.3 rebounds) obviously didn’t slow down Missouri on Sunday, as they
beat up defeated Murray State, 71-32.
Johnason, Hanneman suspended [Columbia Tribune]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found