Dec 9, 2009, 11:00 AM EDT
If you’re like me, the only thing you can think of while watching an NBA game is, “I wonder what the wives are doing right now?” Fortunately VH1 was thinking the same thing. Its new reality series, Basketball Wives, debuts in March of next year, and will follow NBA players’ significant others as they do whatever NBA players’ wives, girlfriends and ex-girlfriends do. Oh, and executive producer is Shaunie O’Neal, which should be interesting (PDF file). Anyway, the timing of this show is important.
1. It’s pretty close to the start of the NBA playoffs.
2. This Tiger Woods thing should just be settling down by then.
VH1 has ordered eight half-hour episodes of the series, which will chronicle the lives of wives and girlfriends of NBA players Udonis Haslem, Antoine Walker, Jermaine O’Neal, Eric Williams and Shaquille O’Neal.
VH1 said Monday that “Basketball Wives” will show the upside of the women’s lives — big homes, designer clothes and jewelry — and the drawbacks, including worries about whether their husbands are being faithful on roadtrips.
The only way this show would work is if they gave it a format like on Cheaters, in which the wife, along with a camera crew, actually busts in on the NBA player while he’s with another woman. Also they’ve got to get Tila Tequila involved somehow.
My prediction is that by the time this show debuts, Tiger Woods fatigue will grip a weary nation, and no one will be in the mood to watch another show about pro athlete infidelity. This show could actually kill the reality TV genre as we know it, and that’s a good thing, right?
Reality show looks at lives of ‘Basketball Wives’ [MSNBC]
Coming to VH1: Basketball Wives, Secrets of Aspen, Complete and Utter Nonsense [The Hollywood Gossip]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires