Dec 9, 2009, 12:30 PM EDT
Annie Januszewski and Mel King didn’t think they were getting enough publicity for their WoodVale Challenge Atlantic Rowing Race, so they decided to do it naked. Two months on a tiny boat, rowing across the Atlantic Ocean, in the nude. Well, it worked — here’s your post, girls. They are one of 30 teams — and the only women — to set off in the race that began today in the Canary Islands and will end, hopefully, in Antigua in the Caribbean sometime in February.
If you’re like me, you’ve often considered rowing nude across a major ocean. The only factors holding me back are chafing and stinging jellyfish. But these two, who are professional rowers from Britain, are made of stronger stuff, apparently.
Plus they’re using the journey to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.
You probably know that the world record for two women rowing across the Atlantic is 75 days. Januszewski and King say they can do it in 70 days. Incredibly, they figure that being naked will shave five days off of their time. Seriously. Do they realize they’ll be in a boat?
But they’re not fooling anyone; the only reason they’re doing this is to escape Tiger Woods news.
Two girls, one tiny boat, one huge ocean, one world record [Atlantic World First]
Archive for the Atlantic World First category [Explore Blogs]
Rowers show naked ambition [The Sun]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead