Dec 8, 2009, 7:30 PM EDT
It seems that everyone has an opinion about the Tiger Woods saga; even my dog, who has stolen and buried every golf ball I had in the house. But very few professional athletes have ventured anything specific about it; with the possible exception of a couple of Tiger’s golfing pals. But now comes the Wizards’ Brendan Haywood, who for some reason decided to devote an entire post on his blog about Tiger’s marital travails. And it’s a doozy.
Basically Haywood is calling out Erin Nordegren for being a scheming golddigger, but that’s not the most amazing part. He also pretty much says that Nordegren should be thankful that Tiger didn’t beat her up.
Excerpts from Haywood’s blog:
While I will acknowledge that what Tiger did was wrong and irresponsible, my biggest problem in this situation isn’t with Tiger, it’s with his wife, Elin Woods! They say you can’t put a price on love but someone obviously never told Elin that! After hearing of Tiger’s extramarital affairs, her first move wasn’t to go to her family for help; she went straight to the bank! If you haven’t heard, just days after this whole situation was brought to light, Elin had the couple’s prenuptial agreement restructured and immediately had $5 million dollars put inter her personal account – this just in order to stay in the marriage.
Call me “old fashion” but this sounds more like a business deal than a marriage to me. I know Elin was probably deeply hurt by Tiger’s actions but Tiger’s wallet isn’t the way to restore things in the Woods’ household! Another fact lost in all of this is that these affairs wouldn’t have even come to light if Elin hadn’t gotten all Jazmine Sullivan on Tiger and “busted the windows out his car!” This could’ve been settled nice and quietly behind closed doors. All I’m saying is that Elin better be glad she’s married to Tiger Woods instead of Chris Brown or this whole story could’ve been reported differently!
The group Backstreet (sic) had an old song called “Buy Me Love.” The premise of the song is that money can’t buy you love. I’m going to buy that old album and send it to Elin for Christmas! Whatever happened to the saying “stand by your man?” Like my man AI (Allen Iverson) said a long time ago, “Nobody is squeaky clean!” And if I was Tiger, the fact that it took mega-millions to keep Elin in this marriage would make me question her love for me, her motives and how committed she is to their family.
Wow. I suppose you can spin the “Elin better be glad she’s married to Tiger Woods instead of Chris Brown” line to suit your own purposes, but to me that’s just total social networking fail. Brown, an R&B singer, pleaded guilty in June to assaulting his former girlfriend, pop star Rihanna.
Also a big bowl of wrong: Referring to Blackstreet’s (Money Can’t) Buy Me Love, apparently unaware of the Beatles’ original Can’t Buy Me Love. The NBA should actually be able to suspend you just for that.
Buy me love [Brendan Haywood Blog]
Chris Brown pleads guilty to assault [Washington Post]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Lookin At Lucky wins Preakness