Sales skyrocket for book seen in Tiger's wrecked SUV

Dec 4, 2009, 1:30 PM EDT

Want to know how crazy this is getting? Here’s how crazy. An out-of-print book that was photographed by police in the back seat of Tiger Woods’ crashed Escalade on Friday morning (pictured) is now surging in Amazon.com sales, jumping ahead more than 300,000 spots as of today. The book, Get a Grip on Physics, was published in 1999 and was supposed to be the first of a series. But those plans were canceled due to poor sales. Well, it’s a hot item now.
The author, British scientist John Gribbin, is probably best known for predicting that earthquakes would wipe out Los Angeles in 1982. Finally, something works out for the guy.
The Guardian online caught up with Gribbin on Thursday. Video following the jump.

This incidental role in Woods’s domestic drama has been enough to create a rush to get hold of the book, with the title’s sales rank on Amazon.com jumping from 396,224 earlier in the week to a high spotted yesterday by the Wall Street Journal of 2,268.

Speaking in a break between lectures this morning, the author, John Gribbin, said he was “delighted that anybody’s reading my books. I just wish it was one that’s still in print.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

“It’s not a book you sit down and read from cover to cover,” said Gribbin, “you can dip in and out of it. Tiger Woods is absolutely my target audience. He’s busy, hasn’t got a lot of time, but wants to catch up on what’s happening in physics.”

I’d say physics caught up with Woods, with a vengeance. Meanwhile, Tiger Woods-related domain names are currently on sale on eBay, as you knew they would be. Still available for the low price of $1 million are TigerWoodsDomesticViolence.com, and TigerWoodsAffairs.com. Heavens.
***
Tiger Woods drives sales of physics book sky-high [The Guardian]
Tiger Woods Affairs.com Plus More Domain Names Top Search [eBay]

1. Tony Marren - Dec 5, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Sure; I’m jealous Tiger Wood made killer money in golf.Sure;I was jealous he has a hot looking wife.Sure; if he played his cards right he’d have created an extraordinary stock portfolio so when he retired he’s not sashaying to soup kitchens on Thanksgiving Day as MSN reported happening across the country this year. Yet as I read of his personal fiasco and the number of people taking shots at him I actually see a guy that has created his own Gethsemene and truly needs counseling to get his head straightened out.I feel extraordinarily sorry for him. Day in and day out he’s getting targeted by some other bar bimbo for some other fling he was in.Some other “observer” is relating some other situation to further trash him. Amusingly; we all point fingers and demean him.We all wonder if his sponsors will dump him. Yet I bank odds at 100% accuracy if we were in his spot we’d be crying for mercy and expressing we are “human”…..and with all the “good” we do we are suddenly “demonized”…..

2. Jerry - Dec 5, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Duh, dww, if you can’t properly punctuate, don’t write a comment.

3. Otis - Dec 5, 2009 at 2:02 AM

Here’s the deal: Human beings are afflicted with many character flaws, one of which is we want what we don’t have. Then once we get it, we don’t want it anymore. Why is this? Ask God because only He knows. Only Jesus Christ was not afflicted with this human flaw. The rest of us – we are still learning through our mistakes. That’s life.

4. guesswho - Dec 5, 2009 at 2:19 AM

Since people are now making of Tiger Woods, let’s make fun also of the priests who did actually commit crimes by abusing children which costs Church billions of money.

5. guesswho - Dec 5, 2009 at 2:22 AM

Since people are now making fun of Tiger Woods, let’s make fun also of all the priests who did actually commit crimes by abusing children which costs Church billions of money.

6. guesswho - Dec 5, 2009 at 2:24 AM

7. Anita Sharma,Malaysia. - Dec 5, 2009 at 2:34 AM

So , let me understand this. The best golfer in the world
    ( arguably), the first billionaire sportsman has also got to have perfect morals, perfect character. He has to be the ultimate role model for the masses, never make errors of judgment, stifle all his urges, be utterly faithful, never ever have any accidents, be a perfect driver of a vehicle, reveal all details of his personal life to all and sundry without so much as a mild refusal to do so.he is supposed to be giving statements to the police when the law cannot compel him to. From being a super hero, we now attempt to revile him . Why? Because he is not a God. Not an Angel. After all.
    Sheesh. Give the guy a break fellas .
    The next time you want to write criticism about someone in his situation, just try to figure out if you are at all entitled to throw the first stone. Look within. If you are an Angel or a God yourself , then by all means , condemn to your heart’s content. Otherwise simply rely on the excuse all of us use, that we are ‘just human’ . hey ,it works for the rest of us. big smile.

8. Paul Woods - Dec 5, 2009 at 2:39 AM

Tiger’s a classic example of a hypocrite. Just unreal what he was up to and we know so little the real extent.
    He’s not married any longer its nothing but a business relationship, just the way he wants it. Ellin you got a robot now, not cool.

9. jwm - Dec 5, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Tiger Woods may eventually win more majors than Jack Nicklaus but he still won’t be the greatest golfer. That title belongs to Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer. Two MEN, who won with class and have lived their lives with class and dignity.

10. doodoolemonque - Dec 5, 2009 at 10:56 PM

….or at least managed to avoid getting caught by the press. I;m just saying.
    Tony Marren…you feel sorry for Tiger? The man made the choice to be a serial womanizer. He made the choice to roll around in the gutter and trash his children’s mother. When caught, he again opted against doing the right thing and asked his girlfriend to cover his ass. You feel sorry for him? Will he never, ever have to take responsibility for his own actions? Nope, not as long as others feel the way you do and help him to identify his bad behavior as the result of outside forces. Its hard being Tiger, don’t you know. Well its hard being me and its hard being you, but I know I made the choice to be a grownup.
    Arnita Sharma….I am entitled to throw the first stone, because this is not the Bible. It is the real world. The sooner Tiger gets this, the sooner he can take responsibility for keeping his zipper closed. Real men know how to say “no.” A real women does not sleep with a man just because he is a rich and famous golfer, if he already has a wife. I also get to judge, because Tiger has asked us all to do so, when he asks us to buy products he endorses because of who he is. That is the whole point of personality advertising. He says “I’m Tiger Woods and I like this product. Since you like me, please buy it.” He asks us to judge him and base our buying decision on the fact that we like him. Sorry Arnita. He asks us to judge him and I have. I find him wanting.

11. guesswho - Dec 6, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Hey guy, what can you say about priests who abused children?

12. nipdoc - Dec 6, 2009 at 7:32 PM

i’ve been single. i;ve been married. i;ve been single again.
    single is the BEST!!
    - happily single!!!

13. Anita Sharma,Malaysia. - Dec 6, 2009 at 7:35 PM

I do agree that when a person puts himself across as a role model, he should live up to the expectations of the masses. All of us need good role models. And I agree that a man should be able to control the urges of his loins, no matter who he may be. Tiger has proven to be no role model, it is obvious. And i do agree also that you can cast the first stone. if you feel you should. Being a public figure, Tiger should have used better judgment and self control.And if the public punishes him by reviling him , regardless of his enormous wealth and fame, then this is their right. All I tried to say is that everybody sooner or later displays their clay feet. Hypocrites abound. If a person learns from this Tiger episode that such behavior is not going to be accepted by the discerning masses as an acceptable modus operandi, then the world will be a better place. with less of philandering, corruption and immorality by our leaders, politicians, super stars and sports stars . If all these people who try put to themselves out as being with perfect qualities but actually are not with much of good qualities, if they learn from the Tiger episode, then i dare say that we might someday actually get worthy role models.
    So this episode will have an all round good effect .
    Anita Sharma
    Attorney
    Malaysia.

14. doodoolemonque - Dec 7, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Well, guesswho, I’m not sure what child abusing priests have to do with Tiger, but since you ask…I think they should arrested and if convicted, they should into the general population and identified by their crime. I think they should be abused beyond their ability to withstand. I think they should be savagely attacked by all, in every aspect of society. I think the superiors who protected them should be likewise treated and I think the Church should be prevented from declaring bankruptcy to protect their assets from those who they wronged. I think that all those involved, from the top to bottom, should be forced to publicly identify identify themselves as child abusers, wherever they choose to live, in the off chance that one day public stoning will once again be permitted.
    Beyond that, I really don’t have strong views on the subject.

15. guesswho - Dec 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Thanks for your reply but that’s the whole point. Why do people have stronger views about Tiger Woods who has not comitted a crime than against priests who were convicted by abusing children. It’s not right.

16. lemonella - Dec 21, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Puleeze, let down his race. The only people he let down are his wife and children. The public always manages to forgive and forget. Just remember all the schmucks who have screwed up big time this year. Lets start with Sarah Palin’s family, Mr. Money mad Madoff and the list goes on and on and on. Madoff really screwed everyone and is now in prison, but I will bet he is not living low in the lockup. Let us not forget ALL the PRIEST who actually ruined many a young man’s life and probably some women too, but who have not paid any way the public can see because the church continues to, shall we “hide” these freaks. Tiger I am sure is taking a licking (pardon the pun) that he probably never thought he would have to feel.

17. Brianna - Jan 19, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Interesting, never thought of it like that