Dec 4, 2009, 5:50 PM EDT
I don’t know how to tell you this so I’m just going to say it: The First Church of Tiger Woods is no more. Los Angeles radio talk host John Ziegler, the self-proclaimed pastor of the church which he started in 1996 as a tribute to his favorite golfer, announced Tuesday on his web site that the church would be disbanded due to Woods’ “transgressions.” And then a bolt of lightning struck the steeple.
Of course the fact that Ziegler is a conservative talk host, and Woods’ alleged affairs aren’t playing well with his audience, are likely the real reason he’s running from this. Ironic, since Ziegler has been fired from at least three broadcasting jobs for making controversial statements on the air, and has written a book in which he blames political correctness for contributing to the downfall of the nation.
His web site has been mostly dormant four the past four years, but Ziegler has written a flurry of posts slamming Woods over the past two days. Excerpts from the announcement:
“After several days of evaluation, I have decided to disband the First Church of Tiger Woods (as indicated by the graphics at the top of this website) and I will not renew the TigerWoodsIsGod domain name when it expires in a couple of months. Any future commentary on this site (which may not happen at all) will be regarding Tiger’s failings in relation to his affair/accident debacle which continues to unfold almost by the hour.
“The events of the past few days have revealed Tiger to be a serial adulterer, a blatant liar and a selfish coward. While I am sure I will always respect his ability as a golfer, that was only a very small part of why this much-misunderstood website was created and why it became such a big part of my life.
“He has failed to live up to those expectations and he has shattered a sacred trust that cannot be repaired. Therefore, Tiger Woods now has at least one less supporter. I am quite sure that I am not alone.”
But, does Jesus still support Tiger Woods? Known as someone who would never cast the first stone, and forgive trespasses and all that, I would guess the answer is yes.
And then of course we also have this evidence. So the next question is, what is Christ’s handicap?
Church of Tiger Woods burns to ground [CBSSports]
First Church The Damnation of Tiger Woods [TigerWoodsIsGod]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games