Dec 4, 2009, 12:00 PM EST
Each Friday we’re going to comb the Internets for fresh takes on thorny subjects from the great unwashed blogosphere, so that nothing falls through the cracks. Recently the BCS hired former GW Bush White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer to be their PR front man, and that seems like as good a place as any to start. But there’s much, much more. So, let’s begin this press conference. Hey Helen Thomas, turn off your iPod!
BCS: Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies: Mind-numbingly idiotic BCS vs. College Football Playoff argument, starring Ari Fleischer, perhaps the most despicable flack in the history of flackery. [The Big Lead]
More following the jump.
* Why Did Mangino ‘Suddenly’ Resign Yesterday? Mark Mangino “resigned” yesterday in disgrace, having been throw out by Kansas officials after players came forward with tales of physical and verbal abuse. Until this week, players had not provided physical evidence of Mangino’s behavior. That changed two days ago, when the LAWRENCE JOURNAL-WORLD published the story of former Kansas starting nose tackle Cory Kipp. [SportsbyBrooks]
* Allen Iverson’s contract pen up for auction. I don’t know whether this counts as Phenomenal Swag, but the pen Allen Iverson used to sign his new 76ers’ contract on Thursday is being auctioned off at Sixers.com to benefit Sixers Charities and the Comcast-Spectacor Foundation. [Ball Don't Lie]
* The Yankees Are Eating Our Blog Name. Yup, I just received a cease and desist. Unbelievable. [The Yankee Universe]
* Subway Jarod likes the Indianapolis Colts. Too much Tiger Woods, not enough focus on the rest of the people that make the sports world go ’round. Like Jarod Fogle (obviously), the Subway dude – who was spotted in Miami International Airport yesterday wearing a Dallas Clark Indianapolis Colts jersey. [Joe Sports Fan]
* 15 Yards for Fugliness: A Photographic Survey of Nike’s New Football Uniforms. Over the last few weekends, Nike has been previewing their latest attempt to “improve” athletic apparel on several premiere NCAA Division I (yeah, that’s what I still call it) football programs. Now, perhaps these uniforms, designed to be ultra light and form fitting, are functionally a worthy advance, but from a sartorial viewpoint, well, my inner Tim Gunn was making this face. A lot. [Ladies ...]
* Video: Here’s $700,000. I participated in a halftime contest once. I won a $30 gift card to Red Robin. This guy won 480,000 euros. [The Beautiful Game]
Want your blog item included? OK! Send ‘em to RickChand@gmail.com.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found