Rocco Mediate: Leave Tiger alone

Dec 3, 2009, 3:05 PM EDT

So in all the confusion we kind of forgot that there’s an actual PGA tournament occurring right now: The Chevron World Challenge, hosted by Tiger Woods (sitting in for host Tiger Woods this year will be Neil Patrick Harris). Although Rocco Mediate is not in the field, he has had many golf showdowns with Tiger in the past, not the least of which being at the U.S. Open two years ago. Mediate was on ESPN Radio in Chicago on Wednesday to give everyone a kind of George Baily, It’s a Wonderful Life reminder of what the golfing world would be like if Tiger were never born.
Key quote: “It’s so ridiculously sad it just makes me nauseous actually.”

Mediate:

“I haven’t really followed. It’s all just, I can’t really say what I want to say because I’m on the radio. It’s just wrong what’s going on. Everybody makes mistakes and obviously what I heard this morning what he said was right on the numbers. It’s not anybody’s business man, it’s his and his wife’s and his children’s business and the problem that I have with it is all the people that are trying to take this guy down because he made a mistake like everybody else does in the world a million times, but forgetting about what it involves.

“Two little kids and his wife, it’s their deal and knowing him, I don’t know her very well, but knowing him he’ll fix it. Everything is fixable, but because he’s the most recognizable person on earth, let’s just tear him apart while we have the chance, you know what I mean? When’s he’s himself and does great no one bothers him because it’s expected of him, then all the sudden this stuff happened, whether it’s true or not we’ll never know. It’s not even anyone’s business, and as you can tell I’m kind of angry right now. I just think it’s terrible, these people that have done this to him, it’s unbelievable. It’s so ridiculously sad it just makes me nauseous actually.”

I think you know my policy: Never argue with someone named Rocco. Audio here.
On what the Tour would be like without Tiger:

“I said it a million times, our tour is absolutely fantastic, but without him it ain’t as good; its that simple. I mean, look what he’s brought to our table. Look what he’s done for the PGA Tour, golf and the world of golf in general. So of course it will have a huge impact and you never want to not have your best guy no matter what the reason.”

Meanwhile, Irishman Padraig Harrington, who is in the Chevron field, had this to say about the worldwide nature of Tiger’s story on Fox Radio:

“Tiger is all the way around the world. I saw the Britain news on it when it happened and he was a front page on every single newspaper the following day. Bare in mind that was the same day that a terrorist attack killed 89 people in Russia and Tiger still made front page.”

***
Chevron World Challenge goes on without Woods [PGATour.com]
Rocco Mediate on Tiger Woods: ‘It’s not anybody’s business’ [SportsRadioInterviews.com]
Padraig Harrington gives his thoughts on Tiger [SportsRadioInterviews.com]

1. Dee - Dec 4, 2009 at 1:10 PM

If he was not an athlete he would be pumping gas somewhere
    The point is, he is an athlete; he trained all his life to use his talent as a way to MAKE A LIVING, not be a role model for someone else’s children! I’m the role model for my children and I would hope that you Tom are the role model for your’s….if you have any!

2. Dee - Dec 4, 2009 at 1:20 PM

re Yankees1996 – AMEN!! Tiger did not “broadcast” this to the public; in fact, it took 13 hours after the accident for someone to sell the story to the media…if it were anyone else, they would be treated at the hospital, released, end of story!! No one was hurt, he didn’t hit another car or person, he wasn’t drinking, and he wasn’t even a quarter mile away from his home…in a gated community with 12′ high walls to KEEP THE PUBLIC OUT!! All he asked for afterwards was some privacy for him and his family to work this out. And to the person who intimated that he “shouldn’t show his face in public again”…golf is obviously his way of making a living…it the public doesn’t like it, then they need to stay away from the tour….how many of you believe that will happen???

3. SpankMonkey - Dec 4, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Men are pigs and women go ape shit when men are pigs. Tiger and his lil sweed are not different.

4. RJDanson - Dec 4, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Sad to say but a large percentage of men can relate to Tiger right now. I saw where they are thinking he may be a “sex addict”. Well, at his age I don’t know too many men who aren’t.
    I’m not condoning his actions, but I for one understand where his head was when he committed the acts.

5. D - Dec 4, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Hi, this is Earl Woods speaking from above: “Tiger, this is Pop. I am very very disappointed in you, son. I taught you better values than what you have exhibited recently with your “transgressions”. We both know what that means. You have not only disappointed me and your mother, but Elin, your children, and especially your fans around the world. I only thank God that the kids are too young to know what you have done to your family, but they will grow up and eventually find out. I think it is safe to assume that you would be greatly hurt also if it was the other way around and Elin was having “trangressions”, right?? I say to you now, son, make your peace with Elin and get on with your life and career. She is a good wife and deserves better. Straighten up while it is not too late to save your marriage and family. If it happens again, I’m going to come down there and smack you.
    To the media: alright now, Tiger admitted his mistakes. He is not perfect as we all know now, but I truly believe he learned his lesson here. It’s time for he and Elin to begin the healing process to save their marriage, and family. Grant him some space for this, and when he returns to playing in tournaments, please refrain from bringing this issue up in your interviews.”
    Earl (Pop) Woods

6. Argyle - Dec 4, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Please leave someone’s dead parent out of it. I am sure you are perfect and have followed every principle that your parents taught you; but every human does not. But let Earl lie in peace. He did better than most.

7. Argyle - Dec 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Mike P: you are an idiot and you know it.

8. Dee - Dec 4, 2009 at 4:24 PM

MP…and you are an expert on trash because……?

9. Pam A - Dec 4, 2009 at 5:13 PM

The funny thing about this is yes he is human and yes it is his families business, what is so funny is the women that have come forward and claim these affairs. They were all quiet and having fun before it went public. Now they want to tell all. Why? $$$ That is why. Yes he is a married man and might have been having an affair, but these women were having an alleged affair with a married man. What does that say about them??? Tigers true fans are not going to care about his personal life, just his golf game.

10. S McD - Dec 4, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Being “human” is not an excuse for serial bad behavior. This is Tiger’s character. Only time will tell if he wants to become the person he always claimed to be. He sold us an image and is now angry that the image has been proven false. This is no one’s fault but Tiger’s.
    Should he be given time to show that he has changed? Absolutely. But this is not just between him and his family because he was a role model and he reaped the benefits of that for all these years. And if he had kept his issues between him and his family, there would be nothing to write about now. He went public in more ways than one.
    Now that who he is, is shown not to be who he claimed to be, he will have to decide who it is he really wants to be. I hope he chooses wisely.

11. mavricknbr9 - Dec 4, 2009 at 5:53 PM

At first I believed that Tiger was victim of the media scrutiny,public interest and comments. But as I read what Don wrote as well as other people, he’s not a victim at all. The media beat the hell out of Tom Cruise for jumping on a couch for goodness sakes. The media plays favoritism to no one! period.
    The media made a big deal out of Tiger before and after he came on the golf course; There was no deal made with the media that Tiger should be left alone once he leaves the golf course. This rule applies to ALL celebrities without question. Tiger was not born yesterday. He knew the rules and if he didn’t, he knows now.

12. dee - Dec 4, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Pam A…you are so right…now anyone who he has even nodded to is claiming they had an affair with him.
    S McD…Who is he a role model for? Tiger never “sold us” on anything…outside of the golf course, he has kept his life private…you rarely see him out in public or on talk shows once he leaves the course. Hd did not go public with this and tried his best to keep it behind the 12 ft. walls that surround his home! He reaped the benefits of his years and years of practicing to be the best he could be at his sport, which became his way of making a living. The public had nothinig to do with it. He never “claimed” to be anything but a good golfer and is not responsible for the pedestal that the public put him on and is now too eager to knock him off of it. I certainly hope you weren’t using him as a “role model” for your kids…how sad if you were and you couldn’t be their role model. Yes, he has failings but I think that the good he has done outside of golf, most of which people don’t even know about, far outweighs this! He gave back and continues to give to the community….what do you do???
    The public needs to get a life….this is nothing but pure voyeurism!! How sad!

13. AJ - Dec 4, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Get a grip. People are straving and dying around the world. The man is a good golfer and no more. Let’s focus on things that have an impact on the quality of the life in the world, not on a story that has ZERO impact on the real troubles facing all of us. Also, all of you should get a life and move on.

14. mavricknbr9 - Dec 4, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Don,
    I actually agreed with you for most of your comments, but talking like his dead father is pretty insensitive and cruel. Even the media wouldn’t go that far. You’re a smart, articulate man so show some class and compassion and don’t be so offensive.

15. Bob - Dec 4, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I didn’t know Rocco had dumped his wife and kids for his physical therapist. Another jerk.

16. jjsjjsva - Dec 4, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Any man who cheats on his wife with 3 gals over many months is simply a coward. Tiger was too chicken shit to ask for a divorce like a man.
    “I am Tiger Woods” and I am a coward!

17. Bob - Dec 5, 2009 at 3:26 AM

First of all…I am a fan of Tigers…he is an amazing athlete. I am a former golf professional and revere the sport I love…however; we must keep in mind that adultery is a terrible thing…plain and simple…Tiger has a lot of young people who look up to him…he has…regardless of how most adults may look at the situation, let these young and impressionable fans down. He has a responsibility to behave and set the example…yes, he is human but considering his public position…it seems he would have remained under the radar…personally, I am disappointed that he apparently has cheated on his wife…furthermore, I now have to explain to my sons that although he is an incredible athlete his behaviour is not to be admired of followed…shame on Tiger.

18. Jim - Dec 5, 2009 at 9:38 AM

I am going back to football.

19. golffan - Dec 5, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Actually I agree with most, Tiger is perhaps the BEST golfer of all time, but like many other people AND most other MEGA statrs, he has temptations in ALL areas thrown at him. was he wrong to have affair(s) ABSOLUTELY….would it matter if he was joe average living down the street ABSOLUTELY NOT… Yes he makes LOTS of money, money that we his fans are responsible for. I think Tiger would be as happy playing a round with his friends as being on tour, so DON’T blame him for being rich. Be VERY careful that we scream for what he did was harmful to his family, that is ALL that matters. DON’T yell because you are jealous of his success or uncomfortable with the color of his skin

20. MD - Dec 5, 2009 at 10:52 AM

To all you people who don’t know Tiger Woods and don’t really know what really did happen in this whole situation, and seem to enjoy bringing him down and calling him trash and stupid and all kinds of other negative things….. why don’t you just work on your own transgressions and sins and failings! Let him and his wife work out THEIR situation.
    The world would be a much better place if people and nations wanted the best for each other and learned how to really love one another. Try wishing others the best when they are down. Try saying a prayer for someone who is having difficulty or who made a mistake and is feeling grief and anxiety and pain. It looks like Tiger Woods has his work cut out for him in a way much more difficult than being down 6 strokes with 7 holes to play! Why don’t we all think and pray some good thoughts for him and Elin and family so they can stay together… the world does not need another broken family. Tiger has done a lot of good and is a good person, in spite of his shortcomings and mistakes and failures… and no one here yet knows what really happened in this case which is just charged with plenty of speculation and gossip….. not solid facts. How would you like to have your worse mistake put out in public like with all kids of untrue aspects to it and then have a crowd (a mob might be a better word here) of people try and convict you!
    I frankly, think the world has had enough of all this. Leave the guy and his family alone… and lets all go back to life and work…. or go back to football as one comment was made!

21. Rhonda W - Dec 5, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Kim you are absolutely right everyone makes a mistake. What about all these men around here that are not taking care of their children. I would like to see them advertise about deadbeat dads and how to make them pay child support. He may have done wrong but who are we to judge. I guess everyone that is talking about Tiger Woods never did anything wrong. If Tiger was not in the public eye noone would care how many trees or fire hydrants he would hit. The most important thing to me is that he did not harm anyone and he did not bring much harm to himself. Even though things happen we should at least forgive and move on.

22. Loretta - Jan 12, 2010 at 12:05 AM

I hope Tiger Woods chooses golf over his shallow wife. And if she is any woman she will realise that his dream is about to be fulfilled, and adding ultimatum … she is sooo not worth it. She isnt even beautiful like people think. So what if he had sex with other women? I’m sure there are many other men out there who do but grudge against him because he got caught. So people say, caught! Yeah right those women knew better, and so did he, but why should he let his life go because of his wife? Give her a divorce, everyone has one under their belt these days, spare yourself some of the media bullshit always following you around. If you still love each other later, marry again. But for your sake these marriages whom partners have other affairs fail because people cant mind thier own business.
    Go Tiger Go! Do your PGA and Good luck, we are rooting for you in Canada!!

23. Roberto Balhorn - Feb 10, 2010 at 9:48 AM

lol, Fed is so crazy! I love him.