Dec 3, 2009, 9:00 AM EST
This morning’s message comes from the small town of Dowling, Ont., where 9-year-old Miller Donnelly made a YouTube video admonishing adults for yelling at players and taking all the fun out of youth hockey games. The video was only supposed to be for members of his family, but roughly two years after making it, Donnelly has watched it go viral: The video, entitled The Magic Hockey Helmet, has received nearly 300,000 views — most of them during the past six months.
The video consists of Donnelly standing in front of his family’s fireplace and describing his hockey helmet, which he calls “magic,” because when he puts it on, “a nine-year-old boy becomes a 20-year-old man.” Why, wondered Donnelly, did adults treat him with respect when he wasn’t wearing it; but as soon as he put it on, they started yelling and criticizing his mistakes as if he were an adult? A rather clever metaphorical device for a pre-teen; I give it four stars.
See the video here.
Donnelly, now 12, has been interviewed on several Canadian TV shows, and his video is shown on dozens of minor league hockey web sites; making him the Canadian poster child for responsible sports parenting. Well played.
Look, yelling at Thursday isn’t going to make it go by any faster. So pipe down, eh.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT …
What you missed while bird watchi … wait a minute … are those little f*****s flipping me off?
* NBA: Nets lose record 18th straight, change name to Washington Generals.
* A new rule on football concussions was announced yesterday, but I can’t remember what it is. And where did I park my car?
* It’s Thursday, and FSU’s Zebrie Sanders is still in that set position.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
You can’t see it because it’s underwater, but the alligator is wearing a bib and carrying barbecue sauce.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found