Dec 1, 2009, 1:00 PM EDT
Charles Barkley knows a thing or two about getting into trouble, both with the ladies, and the police. So on Monday he attempted to impart some of that hard-earned wisdom to his pal Tiger Woods, who is still ensconced in his Florida villa, attempting to ride out the publicity storm. Barkley knows Woods well — Tiger’s golf coach even attempted to fix Barkley’s swing — and would like to see him come clean.
Does Barkley think that Tiger’s wife was the aggressor? Charles talked about it on WIP Radio in Philadelphia, managing in the process to somehow involve Alex Rodriguez and David Letterman in the conversation.
“Well I think there is some truth on that but the problem we got is that none of us know the truth. I think the police know the truth, I do. I think the police know the truth. That is the problem right there.”
“I think he is making it worse. First of all, if, if that happened, I think all the secrecy, his statement apologizing; I am not perfect and stuff like that. I think they are making it worse. I mean I would love for him to come out and say: “Hey, we had a disagreement. I am sorry for the uproar. Please give me my privacy.” I think the public would be cool with that.”
“But the TMZ, National Enquirer, him keeping quiet and avoiding the cops and things I think people are going to say at this point: Hey we need to know the damn truth now,” Barkley said. “In the beginning it was like maybe the dude did have a wreck but now with all the stuff coming out with bits and pieces you are like he didn’t just hit a tree or a fire hydrant cause some other stuff was going on. I think when you don’t come out and address it … I think because of Tiger and who he is I think the cops would back off of him. But I don’t think he can make them look bad. If they keep coming to your damn house and you keep telling them no, I think that is very dangerous. I am speaking from first-hand experience. You know what sir, I really apologize. It is 100 percent my fault. Please forgive me and I got to go. For those of you who try to hang around and do like Roger Clemens or A-Rod and things like that when you are kind of like, ‘I don’t know what I was taking’ and things like that. It wasn’t my fault. Man it just makes it worse.”
“Nobody is perfect. I mean that is like when that thing with David Letterman broke. I am, like, what good — I know I am going to get into trouble saying this but I am going to say it anyway — what good is being the boss if you can’t freak with the women that work with you? (Host: Yeah but she was ugly.) They were all ugly but I am just joking. I am just joking … I didn’t realize there was any other reason for being the boss.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1