Dec 1, 2009, 5:45 PM EDT
So I thought I’d lighten the mood and bring us all back to earth with this completely serious bit of news: Brazil is about to sue Robin Williams. In what is believed to the the first time a large South American nation has threatened legal action against a stand-up comedian, Brazil is unhappy with a comment Williams made on Late Night with David Letterman recently. The remark had something to do with strippers, cocaine and the 2016 Olympics, all delicate subjects in Brazil these days. Oh come on, who among us have not made jokes about Brazilian strippers?
Not making any of this up, by the way.
Some citizens and officials in the Brazilian city are upset with comments the comedian made on a recent appearance on the “Late Show” with David Letterman, saying Rio received the 2016 Olympics because it sent “50 strippers and a pound of blow” to compete with Chicago’s entourage that included President Barack Obama and Oprah Winfrey.
Williams’ comments have been replayed several times on news shows across Brazil on Tuesday. Mayor Eduardo Paes says Williams is envious of Rio’s achievement.
Rio’s Olympic Committee said its lawyers will see whether legal action against Williams is possible.
Yes, I can just see Williams sitting in his mansion as the 2016 Olympics bid was announced, screaming “Damn! Were’s my notepad?!”
No joke: Rio upset at Williams’ Olympic line [Associated Press]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead