Nov 30, 2009, 4:36 PM EDT
I see that PETA has now wrapped its claws around Phoenix Suns forward Amar’e Stoudemire, who’s the latest athlete to take off articles of clothing at the behest of the animal rights group. His message? Enjoy my tattoos, everyone. Oh, and also don’t wear fur.
Following the jump, a famed figure skater also joins the cause, getting naked on an actual ice rink while wielding a PETA sign (except that it appears to be a body stocking. OK PETA, just for that I’m eating a hamburger tonight).
Stoudemire says that he began doing research on the fur industry after PETA approached him to do the ad.
“I wouldn’t want to see anything cruel happen to any animals just for fashion,” he said. “The first step is to stop people from wearing the full fur coats, and the hoodies with the fur collars.
“I grew up around dogs; I love dogs. I have a dog named Spud, he’s my pet. I wouldn’t want anything bad happening to any animal, so I decided to get involved.”
As for exactly what Stoudemire’s tattoos say, I’m going to need my reading glasses. And perhaps a bookmark if I get drowzy.
Last week, former U.S. pairs World Figure Skating champion Tai Babilonia cavorted about New York’s Rockefeller Center skating rink in a flesh-coloed bodysuit and a PETA sign, photos of which can be seen here (they should be safe for work, unless you’re Amish. And if so, how are you reading this?).
Alright PETA, but just promise me you’ll stop this campaign before you get to Charles Barkley.
Ink, not mink [PETA.org]
Tai Babilonia Strips Down, Skates To Stop Fur [Huffington Post]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger