Nov 27, 2009, 1:00 PM EST
As you’ve no doubt seen, the latest viral sports video involves a six-year-old football player who lays a couple of vicious hits in a Huntington (N.Y.) youth football game. But young Nyrel Sevilla may have met his match in Goldy Gopher, the University of Minnesota mascot who is not above trampling Pop Warner youngsters if they get between him and the goal line.
Deion Sanders had a few things to say about Goldy’s running style — and his propensity to trample children — during an NFL Network highlights segment on Sunday.
Goldy participated in a football game during halftime of the Vikings-Seahawks game on Sunday, which pitted various college mascots against a team of kid football players. Here Goldy is seen rushing to glory, ruthlessly stiff-arming and running over hapless youngers along the way.
And Deion discusses Goldy’s tactics here.
“There’s a brother in there. There’s a brother in there, I’m telling you. His sales are gonna plummet, but there’s a brother inside of Barney. Take off his hat, I guarantee you there’s a brother in there.”
I don’t know about that, but I do know that Goldy is quickly becoming the bad seed of college mascots. He was forced to apologize last month for mocking a Penn State player who was praying in the end zone. And I think we all remember where we were the day that he mixed his maroon jerseys in with his whites while doing the wash.
Deion on Goldy the Gopher’s moves: ‘There’s a brother in there’ [SB Nation]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found