Nov 26, 2009, 2:30 PM EDT
Look, everyone is innocent until proven guilty. But Ron Artest is the guy who, as a rookie with the Chicago Bulls, once applied for a job at Circuit City so that he could get the employee discount. So is it possible that he directed his sister, Latoya Holmes-Ivey, to apply for welfare even though he was paying all her bills?
Both are being investigated for welfare fraud after the Dept. of Housing and Urban Development got a tip recently that Holmes-Ivey may have received at least $34,000 in taxpayer money she was not entitled to.
Police and housing authorities raided the home Latoya Holmes-Ivey and her three children rent at 336 E. Burgess Ave. Wednesday morning, 6News’ Rafael Sanchez reported.
Holmes-Ivey was receiving taxpayer-supported rent assistance because she claimed she had no income, but investigators said she may have been getting money from her brother.
The sticky part for Artest here is that he may have been the one directing her to do it.
Some neighbors said they were skeptical of Holmes-Ivey after learning who her brother was.
“I never understood why she was on assistance because of that, when she told me he was her brother,” said Marcia Taylor. “The people who do need the assistance don’t get it, when the people who don’t need it get a lot of time.”
By the way, I’m sure you’ve heard about Artest’s appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Monday, in which he came out in only his boxers and shoes. But did you catch this particular exchange from the interview? Artest was showing off the Jimmy Kimmel Live logo that he had shaved onto the back of his head:
KIMMEL: “You know if we were in prison, that would mean we’re married.”
ARTEST: “I’m having this removed right after the show.”
KIMMEL: “Don’t worry; I’d be the wife.”
How times have changed. Somehow I can’t imagine that exchange occurring between Johnny Carson and Oscar Robertson.
NBA Star, Sister Accused Of Welfare Fraud, Theft [TheIndyChannel.com]
Ron Artest and sister being investigated for welfare fraud [You Been Blinded]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead