Nov 25, 2009, 6:30 PM EST
So some University of Oregon students have produced a rap video which praises their football team, and the thing has gone way viral … but you knew that. The video is pretty wholesome, but the problem is that the Oregon Duck mascot appears in it. And this has angered the frozen ghost of Walt Disney.
The Oregon Duck is modeled after Disney’s famed, irascible waterfowl, Donald Duck. Disney allows the university to use the likeness, but as part of their licensing agreement, the Oregon Duck cannot appear in any unauthorized videos. And so the makeshift production, titled I Smell Roses, has been pulled from YouTube.
Although it’s still available in thousands of other places. Including here, following the jump.
Of course the irony here is that this is probably the tamest thing that the Oregon Duck has ever done (hic!). Wonder what Disney thinks of that photo?
“The Duck is a representation of the athletic department,” UO spokesman Dave Williford said. “If people see The Duck in something they think it is an authorized event.
“And this video was not authorized, much as it passionately supports the Oregon football team.
“Even if the guys had asked for permission, Williford said, “we probably would have denied it.”
The university is trying to find a way to edit out the Duck so that they can show the video in the stadium during Saturday’s Civil War, the 113th meeting between Oregon and Oregon State.
I love my Ducks … dammt, now that thing’ll be in my head all day tomorrow.
Gotta love a mascot that parties [The M Zone]
Oregon administrators do not appreciate your duck rap [Buster Sports]
Duck sits after rap video appearance [Seattle Times]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found