Nov 25, 2009, 2:30 PM EDT
Jon Stewart is on vacation this week, but I had missed his inspired segment on gay rights that originally aired this past Thursday, so last night’s rerun was a fresh show to me. If you haven’t seen it — and even if you have — I recommend taking a look at the video following the jump, as Stewart comes to the defense of a 10-year-old Arkansas boy who is taking a stand for gay and lesbian rights.
This is when satirical comedy is at it’s best; when it comes to a sharp point and exposes larger truths. Also it doesn’t hurt to have World Wrestling Association icon Mick Foley (pictured) threatening to tear out people’s innards. Key quote: “Teachers! Faculty! Students, beware! Because the eyes of Mick Foley are upon you! Misery will be yours! …”
Video and transcript following the jump.
Will Phillips, a 10-year-old fifth grader from West Fork, Arkansas, is refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance at his school to protest the fact that gays and lesbians are not allowed to marry or adopt in his state.
This has made him somewhat of a figure of ridicule among peers at his school; a development which Stewart addressed in Thursday’s Daily Show segment. (Foley portion begins at the 1:50 mark).
|The Daily Show With Jon Stewart||Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c|
|Gaywatch – Peter Vadala & William Phillips|
JON STEWART: You know what? This is a very valuable child. This child must be protected. (Snaps fingers). Foley! Ladies and gentlemen, Mick Foley!
MICK FOLEY: Thank you, Jon. Like a lot of my professional wrestling brethren, I was touched by young Will’s plight. So I’ll tell you what I’m going to do. If I find out that anyone has hassled this young man, or teased him, or called him a wad of any sort, I, and perhaps a few of my friends, will come to his school, and bring a world of pain! Teachers! Faculty! Students, beware! Because the eyes of Mick Foley are upon you! Misery will be yours! …
MICK FOLEY: This boy is a great American. Leave him be! Or you will feel my hands as they wrap into your small intestines and use you as a human tetherball!
More than just a comedy piece, this is somewhat of a courageous act on Foley’s part. Although retired from active wrestling, his livelihood still depends heavily on the sport as an author, broadcaster and public speaker.
Also loved Stewart’s Jesse Ventura impression. This is probably the only thing playing on iPods and cell phones at Phillips’ school this week, I’d imagine.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte