Nov 23, 2009, 10:04 AM EDT
It’s no coincidence that the University of Connecticut beat Notre Dame in double overtime on Saturday, say some of the Fighting Irish faithful. The reason this happened is clear: President Obama made Touchdown Jesus cry.
The President, of course, spoke at the university’s May commencement; an act which angered many Catholics due to the controversies over Democratic views on abortion and stem cell research. And according to some commenters on a Notre Dame football message board, this has angered God, or something.
I apologize in advance for linking to a partisan political site like the Daily Kos: That kind of political peanut butter has no business getting into our sports chocolate. But in this case they did do the the legwork of sifting through the comments to find these examples, so credit where credit is due.
From the Rivals.com Notre Dame message board:
* After the ARROGANCE of Fr.Jenkins in awarding an Honorary Degree to the “Messiah”…despite loud, angry protests from the Alumni….let them sink…lower and lower and lower! — Jack from PA
* Typically a huge Notre Dame fan because they are such a unique and awesome institution. Since abortion loving Obama came to campus I could not care if they lose every game here on out. Stick to your roots Notre Dame!!!!!!!!!!! — bmcdermott70
* Well as least ND gave Obama an honorary degree. You really want to know what ND football problem is; lack of character, lack of identity. Even the University of Miami has an indentity; partying and getting laid. When one of the worlds most well known Catholic Universities honors a champion of abortion “rights”, they have betrayed the basic precepts on which they were founded. ND is an empty shell encrusted with rotting, empty tradition. Knute Rockne comming back from the grave couldn’t help this team win. Sad. — richarddennisjr1
* and that boys and girls is what happens when you let Obama speak at a Cathoilc university! — John R.
Not a lot of logic included with these; especially that last one, where we are led to believe that God tends to get very Old Testament when it comes to college football. Among other Notre Dame excuses on the board are “our admission requirements are too high” (hmm, doesn’t seem to be hurting Stanford this season), and “Charlie Weis is dumb.” By the way, the Obama comments are only four of more than 200 on the board so far, so let’s not paint all Golden Domers with the same brush.
Wingnuts: President Obama to blame for Notre Dame football woes [The Daily Kos]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming