Nov 20, 2009, 12:06 PM EDT
You think you know how to torture, America? Waterboarding is for schoolchildren. Detainees locked in an internment camp in Iraq are mocking their captors — members of the Wisconsin National Guard — with Brett Favre jokes.
It all started when the National Guardsmen began decorating their trucks and other areas of Camp Cropper with Packers colors recently. The prisoners picked up on it, did some research (Wiraqipedia?), and began with the Favre barbs. What goes around comes around, I suppose. I blame Dick Cheney.
“They know Favre by name,” said First Lieutenant Tim Boehnen, who is from New Richmond, Wis.
“One of the big words they know now is shenanigan. They’ll constantly talk about ‘Favre shenanigans,’ ‘He’s so good for the Vikings,’ and ‘The Packers have got to really feel bad about that one.’ “
According to Boehnen, it started when troops there started decorating their camp in Packers colors.
“They obviously then started up the conversations, and started talking about Brett Favre. They soon learned about Favre going to the Vikings, and things just started going downhill from there.”
Boehnen said soccer is the main sport that detainees pay attention to there, so there’s not exactly a Vikings fan club chapter in Iraq.
“They’ll hear guards talking about it, and then they pick up a lot of stuff from that, too,” said Boehnen. “They’re very crafty. They learn different stuff from different ways.”
Once they learn a little more about football, they can start increasing the pressure: Like calling for Matt Flynn to replace Aaron Rodgers, or making fun of cheese.
And wait’ll they learn that Joseph McCarthy is from Wisconsin. Oops. Do they have Internet access?
Detainees at Camp in Iraq Use Favre To Tease Wisconsin Soldiers [620 WTMJ]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte