Nov 19, 2009, 6:30 PM EDT
It is our policy here to post any video that comes to us with the note: “A giant flamethrower can be seen at the 0:04 mark.” So here it is, following the jump.
The occasion is Algeria’s 1-0 win over Egypt to earn a World Cup berth, and I have to say the Algerians know how to celebrate. In addition to columns of fire, players were climbing atop the goals, and sportswriters were hoisting up players and carrying them piggyback. Also there’s weeping, and a lone, mysterious barking dog.
Video following the jump.
There was some talk that Algeria wouldn’t be well represented at the qualifier, because many fans were having trouble coming up with the money to make the trip to Cairo. There were stories of fans selling their cell phones, watches and even their clothing to earn the money to see their team play (Note: The same will be true for Yankee fans by next season).
From looking at the video though, they seem to have made it. Seeing them rewarded like that makes me kind of happy. But how did that dog earn enough money to get in?
Anyway, I’m just very happy not to be watching that French hand-goal again.
Yup, a flamethrower [Unprofessional Foul]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found