Nov 19, 2009, 4:00 PM EST
Food for thought: If you’re a pro basketball coach whose team is a little thin on the bench, why not use one of your suspended players? Just have him trade jerseys with someone who’s active, and you’re back in business!
Unfortunately, there seem to be various holes in this plan. As Turkish coach Okan Cevik discovered when he was unceremoniously fired.
The name of the team is Galatasaray Café Crown, and the suspended player was Cemal Nalga. Authorities became suspicious when Tufan Ersoz, the player whose jersey Nalga was wearing, all of a sudden mysteriously stopped sucking in an exhibition game in Germany.
Even though the entire coaching staff has been sacked, the team remains at risk of being fined and demoted from Turkey’s top league.
The amazing thing is that the fraud almost worked. Even though the guy is hard to miss with both a big beard and a big build (watch the video), he was only detected, according to a report, after a rival team noticed suspiciously good statistics for Tufan Ersoz.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found