Nov 19, 2009, 11:09 AM EST
Well, the ball has finally been inducted into the Toy Hall of Fame. On hearing that bit of news, one might assume that the Toy Hall of Fame had just been established, and that ball was among the inaugural inductees. Shockingly, you’d be wrong. The Toy Hall of Fame is 11 years old, and 41 toys were voted in before ball, including Lincoln Logs and Play-Doh. Lincoln Logs. It’s like not voting Willie Mays into the MLB Hall of Fame on the first ballot.
This is my favorite portion of one of the stories on ball’s induction, from Popwatch:
Last year, the HoF inducted the stick, so I guess a ball isn’t that out of character
Yeah, stick is in the Toy Hall of Fame. But where would stick be without ball? This travesty has angered many, including Jon Stewart. See his rant on the subject following the jump.
Video following the jump.
|The Daily Show With Jon Stewart||Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c|
|Windowless News Van for Kids – The Ball|
This paragraph from the Washington Times may be the greatest thing ever written in a major newspaper:
Along with the Big Wheel and the Game Boy video device, the Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester chose the ball Thursday to join its all-star lineup of 41 classics, including the bicycle, the kite, the jump rope, the teddy bear, the stick, marbles and Mr. Potato Head.
The ball chose Chris Berman to introduce him at the induction ceremony.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found