Nov 19, 2009, 3:00 PM EDT
Sheesh. No matter what we do to try and keep the subject matter light around here, someone inevitably goes postal in a spectacular way. Today comes the news that David Allen Tyner, a former Marine, college wrestler and MMA cagefighter, has surrendered in a case involving four murders and a burning house.
One of those killed was Brooke Phillips, 22 (pictured), a prostitute who was featured in the HBO reality show Cathouse.
Two of those murdered, Phillips and 22-year-old Milagrous Barrerra, were pregnant.
Phillips had worked at the Moonlite BunnyRanch, a legal brothel near Carson City, Nev. that is featured in the HBO series.
Tyner, 28, was a two-time state champion wrestler from Salina who finished his high school career at Locust Grove, where he was a state runner-up his senior year in 2000, said Johnny Cook, Tyner’s wrestling coach at Locust Grove.
He surrendered at the Mayes County Sheriff’s Office on a warrant that included six murder complaints. Tyner has not been formally charged with any crime. He is expected to be transferred to Oklahoma County later Tuesday, Oklahoma City police Sgt. Gary Knight said. He said he does not know if Tyner has hired an attorney.
Knight said police have not determined a motive in the killings, but said Tuesday investigators believe there was more than one suspect.
“We don’t believe he acted alone,” Knight said. “We’ve identified the one suspect, but that doesn’t yet tell us what his motive is for doing this.”
Radar Online is reporting that the other two victims are Jennifer Lynn Ermey and Casey M. Barrientos, and that Tyner is not cooperating with police. Radar reports that the house was a drug den, and that Phillips was probably not the intended target.
David Allen Tyner: Suspect in Custody for “Cathouse” Brothel Star Brooke Phillips’ Murder [CBS News]
Murdered Cathouse Prostitute was Likely In Wrong Place At Wrong Time [Radar Online]
Ex-College Wrestler Killed Cathouse Prostitute? [SportsbyBrooks]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL