Nov 18, 2009, 4:00 PM EST
Just so you know, it’s not going to be my habit in the future to bore you with personal details of my life. But since it’s technically our first day, I think you should know this about me: I have a goddaughter who was once driven to soccer practice in the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile.
Samantha can also recite the entire script of Monty Python and the Holy Grail from memory, and knows every Spider-Man villain in chronological order. She of course will be President one day.
Her dad, Jim Guida, picks up the story.
A few summers back, we were vacationing in Lake Tahoe when Sami and I saw the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile at a supermarket parking lot. We were chatting with the drivers who said they were planning to stop in Sacramento, so we invited them to our house for a home-cooked dinner.
A few days later, they pulled up in the Weinermobile, all 27 feet of it, much to the delight of ourselves and our neighbors. The drivers were very gracious and when Sami said she was sorry she had to leave for soccer practice, they offered to give her a ride!
Meanwhile, at Sam Brannan Jr. High School, soccer practice was just beginning. Coach Harris was reviewing the roster with his assistant coach, when a giant, bright orange and yellow hot dog rolled into the school parking lot. Without missing a beat, Harris looked up, said “It must be Guida,” and then returned to his clipboard.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found