Nov 18, 2009, 3:00 PM EDT
Usually I mock the British, as anyone who knows me will tell you. But in this case I really think they’re on to something. When famed French soccer star Gabriel Obertan came over to Manchester United in July, there was great rejoicing in the land of spotted dick. But then he got injured.
Not wanting to lose out on their three million-pound investment, Manchester came up with an ingenious plan: They have Obertan performing a little light gardening around the complex while he recovers. Seriously; he now waters hanging baskets, trims the lawn and prunes rose bushes at the Carrington training ground. He also washed the coaches cars.
And The Sun is there.
Obertan, 20, made his first-team bow last month and his green-fingered chores came to an end but not before he impressed staff.
A United source revealed: “It’s not very often these days a United first-teamer can ever be seen on manual duties. But Gabby is a nice kid and he was only too happy to help out with the older coaches’ requests.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure I saw Tom Brady mowing the lawn at Robert Kraft’s house while he was recovering from that knee injury.
Michael Vick is called into Andy Reid’s office. “We’re not planning on working you into the game plan this week, Mike. But could you walk around the stadium parking lot and sweep up any loose glass or other debris you find out there. That would be terrific.”
Alternate headline for this post: Obertan tells Manchester United, “Of course you can pay me in gum!”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness