Oct 30, 2009, 9:37 AM EDT
As a parent, you have to swell with pride when, during your child’s youth football game, you hear the PA announcer say: “Hey, somebody get Witherspoon and take him home!”
Even worse: When one of the coaches goes after your kid with a helmet. It happened in Pensacola, Fla., on Oct. 24, as a brawl broke out between two youth football teams that resulted in the arrest of Santa Rosa County building official Tim Tolbert. He’s accused of whacking an opposing player with a helmet during the brawl. Nice. Tolbert, though, says he didn’t do it.
Well, determine for yourself: If you’ve never seen a benches-clearing brawl that’s narrated by the PA announcer, you’re in for a treat. Video following the jump.
Tolbert talked with WEAR-3 TV on Thursday.
“It’s very unbelievable, I couldn’t believe it,” said Tolbert, who was charged with one count of aggravated battery. I was trying to reason with them, hey, I understand you’re upset, but no, don’t do this. I believe if I would be in such a rage if I had hit a kid with a helmet, I’d be in such a rage that there’s no way I’m going to be trying to help somebody on the ground.”
What’s going on, America? In an adult amateur football game in New York on Saturday, a player hit a referee in the face with a helmet, fracturing his nose and sending him to the hospital.
Help us, Judge Judy. We need you now!
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'