Oct 30, 2009, 10:20 AM EDT
Pearl Jam is near the end of a five-concert stop at the Wachovia Spectrum Arena in Philadelphia (they play the last-ever event at the facility on Saturday), which must have been quite a dilemma for some Phillies fans on Wednesday. World Series or Johnny Guitar? Cliff Lee or Supersonic? Ahh, it’s enough to make a Phillies fan’s head be asplodin’.
As we see here to the right, however, Vedder refused to keep the Phillie Phaithful hanging (although if you DVR’d the game, you’re still a little P.O.’d right now). It’s the first rock concert I can recall with baseball scoreboard updates.
Meanwhile, Jay-Z is taking credit for the Yankees’ win on Thursday. Yep.
From The 700 Level:
(Pearl Jam is) also known to be baseball enthusiasts, and we’ve been getting reports that they’ve dedicated songs to Shane Victorino, Brad Lidge, and Raul Ibanez, the latter being a friend from his days playing in the grunge capital.
Perhaps the coolest thing they’ve done though, is provide regular score updates, with a showgirl-appareled woman carrying ring cards and Vedder announcing how the runs were scored.
Meanwhile, Contact Music.com reports that Jay-Z’s Yankees Stadium performance on Thursday was originally supposed to occur the day before, but was postponed due to bad weather. You can’t rap in the rain? Who knew?
The 99 Problems hitmaker rapped, “I made the Yankees hat more famous than a Yankee can!” as images of the city flashed across several giant screens throughout the stadium. After his stunning collaboration with Alicia Keys, Jay-Z yelled to the crowd, “Let’s go!” — and his encouragement obviously worked, as the Yankees claimed a crucial 3-1 victory over the Phillies.
Jay-Z’s performance was originally scheduled for Wednesday (28Oct09), but was postponed by Major League Baseball (MLB) officials because of bad weather.
There’s nothing that shouts journalistic integrity quite like a music site that runs press releases, is there?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Who is the best free agent left on the market?
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?