Oct 30, 2009, 11:01 AM EDT
For future reference, please note that the sure way to stir controversy in Green Bay is to stage a mock funeral of Brett Favre, complete with effigy, casket and pall bearers. One would think that the close proximity to Halloween would give people license to do this, but evidently not: WAPL-105.7 FM, the radio station that sponsored Friday’s “Funeral-4-Favre” has reportedly received death threats.
Tom, Dick and Harry’s sports bar in Green Bay staged the event as a Halloween promotion, and of course to welcome Favre for Sunday’s homecoming at Lambeau. About 500 people showed up for the wake, which included a mannequin dressed as Favre beneath a grave stone that read “R.I.P. Brett Favre 10-10-69. 8-18-09 He must be dead. He turned purple.”
“The viewing is all weekend,” bar general manager Mike McNerney said. “The casket is right inside our bar, cornered off. (The effigy) Favre is just sort of laying there with his Vikings jersey on. Fans threw in some pictures, a poem, some football cards, some Favre jerseys. My first customer today came in and took a picture of the casket.
“I’ve had three calls from local people asking, ‘Why are you guys doing this?’ But there was nothing as far death threats here,” McNerney said. “I heard that WAPL might have received some death threats.”
Meanwhile, in a move not at all wasteful of tax dollars or anyone’s time, Green Bay mayor Jim Schmitt changed the name of Minnesota Ave. to Aaron Rodgers Drive. Not only is it hard to believe that a Minnesota Ave. has lasted this long within those city limits, but it officially just got a lot easier to get a street named after you if you’re an NFL quarterback. “Sorry I’m late honey; traffic was really backed up on the Bruce Gradkowski Parkway.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte